Chapter 8

I woke up sore, but not unhappy, the next morn. I had experienced gentleness and pleasure at his hands, which was far more than my mother had ever experienced with my father. I had not expected as much when being sold, and if I had not been sent away I would not have that. I stretched languidly, with his eyes tight around me.

Throst had let me stay in his bed all night, even after having had me a second time, and his strong, hot body protected mine from the cold. He'd assumed a spooning position with his arms around me and to my delight I slept warm for the first time since this long winter started. His even breathing was a comfort to my soul for some unknown reason. Ah, yes. I felt good, desired by such a powerful warrior. His soothing touch carried me to the land of dreams once more.

I woke up at dawn. Throst was snoring softly with his furs tucked tightly around his big body. His hair was spread everywhere on the pillow, tangled from the exertions we'd had together. I dressed quietly and left his bedroom, trying not to wake him.

I threw more wood into the few embers remaining and coaxed the fire back to life to warm the cold house. When it strong again, and produced coals to fire the stove I started making breakfast.

I had been taught to cook as any good chatelaine was supposed to, and now I opened 3 loves of bread, taking the soft fluffy whiteness out, and warmed them gently in the oven while I cooked eggs, hot oat stirabout to be served in the hollow bread, a fish, and warmed a few pieces of yesterday's meat to eat with the soft part of the bread I'd removed.

I prepared the table for us by setting up goblets full of mead and water and the platters of food as they came ready. The fire crackled lightly, illuminating the space. I was still tired. Throst's passion was demanding and all enveloping.

"Good morning." Thora murmured, appearing already dressed for the day with a simple red floor length tunic, pants and boots.

"Good morning. Breakfast is done, if you wish to eat first." I would have Thora ignorant of Throst's claiming of me for as long as possible. But, somehow, she guessed with a single look. Thora smiled.

"You look different this morning, my dear." We had become friends, in these last 7 months and she knew me well. Did my demeanor change so much?

"I am not sure what you mean, lady." I answered in the norse tongue, but I had the unfortunate habit of reverting to english courtesy when I got nervous. It was not that she knew I was not a maiden anymore, but that I felt exposed in her knowing that bothered me.

"Oh, dear Tyra, you fool no one. So he claimed you at long last. Why do you think I went to bed early yesterday? I felt it coming." She cackled, pretending to be an evil crone. I blushed more thoroughly, and of course it was at that moment that Throst decided to appear. Thora grinned at him and he looked at my blushing, at his sister's devilish look, and started muttering under his breath about women and their damned intuitions.

We both laughed, her because she knew he loved her and didn't mean it, and me because I was happy that he was happy, even if he was pretending to be hassled. Still, he dropped a kiss on my forehead and settled down to eat.

Despite my fears, nothing changed in the home. That night, after doing my duties, I turned to go to bed, but Throst grabbed my hand.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"To bed, my Lord." I was unable to look at him, so I was staring at his boots when he laughed intimately. Throst grabbed my waist and brought me against his body.

"You sleep in my bed now." He kissed my neck as he figured out I liked it, and my legs went weak at the knee. Lords, but his touch was powerful. He carried me to his bed, where he proceeded to remove every article of clothing from both of us and show just how much he wanted me to share his bed. A lot. Throst bedded me every night from then on except for my moon link time, though he still insisted I sleep next to him.