𝙄𝙣𝙩𝙧𝙤

Slowly, and painfully, the king opened his eyes. In a daze, he struggled to move, his stomach radiating a sharp pain. His father cried out and crumbled as his mother hugged him, warm tears and sobs shaking both their bodies.

"My son! My son!" Beom yelled, wiping his tears with his trembling fists. "Oh, thank God!" He kissed the cross on his brown necklace.

He heard a door opening, along with a shout and clipping. He jumped when he felt wet on his cold hands. He looked down, and his three concerned dogs were whining. All of them were cut in their faces.

"What happened?" He touched his mother's hands. "What's going on, mom?"

"My love." her voice was shaking. "You were stabbed." Lloyd opened his mouth to speak, yet the words escaped his mind. "Hunter came into your room and stabbed you in your stomach and chest. The guards are putting him in jail right now."

He paused, his head on his hand. "How?"

Her voice broke as she covered her face. "Your window."

He was confused, and then it clicked. The window, the fucking window. The vines.

"It's my fault." His parents both looked up. "It's all my fault."

"No, my baby." His father walked to him and hugged his neck. Lloyd wanted to hug back, but everything hurt. Everything felt raw. "It's Hunter's."

Marie put Apple on the bed. Her son looked at her tiny face as she whined and kissed his. There was a little scar on her nose. She was hurt, and it was his fault. He felt tears fall as his lip quivered. His mother hugged his head as his father was digging into his pockets.

"Here you go, my salangseuleoun ai." He pulled out a cigarette and held up to Lloyd's lips, making him laugh.

"You're letting me smoke?" Beom lit it for him.

"Yes, because I know they make you feel better." He took it out so the other could exhale before putting it back. It was a pacifier. A disgusting, burning pacifier. "It's not your fault. Truly."

A guard came in, covered in blood. Lloyd looked away, hiding his eyes in his father's big shoulder. "My king, he's been sent to the jail. Your family has been informed, and the prince will be called shortly."

"Oh no, please don't." He lifted his head up. "There's no reason to overwhelm him with such a foolish incident." He was proud of himself for sounding so mature. The guard bowed and then held the door open for Anne, who was walking with her walker.

"Mon chérie, are you alright? You certainly gave everyone the scare." Marie helped her sit. "Mr. Beom, why are you letting that boy smoke?"

He muttered an apology before taking the cigarette away. She held her nephew's trembling hand. He never noticed how yellow her eyes were before. He felt calm. He thought about it. It was ridiculous.

"What's so funny?" His mother's voice was still shaky.

He controlled it. "It's just kinda funny when you think about."

Beom crossed his arms. "Nothing about this is funny, Lloyd."

"It is!"

-----

He slept through the rest of the day with his parents, who jumped at every sound and had their arms around him. When he woke up, his phone was turned off, and he was dizzy, though he enjoyed all the visits. White came by to say he had a cough from the cigarettes, so he gave them up cold turkey and wanted to start living, saying he was going to ask out a woman from work. His brothers came by with music they've been working and said they'll wait for him to play the piano at it. His sisters came with flowers. James and Charles came with tea.