Cat's Out Of The Bag

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*17 years from present day*

The village square is adorned with vibrant banners and colorful decorations, reflecting the enchantment that fills the atmosphere. Families and friends eagerly gather, dressed in their finest attire, as they await the grand event. As the sun begins to set, casting a warm golden glow over the village, a large rock statue sits at the center of the square. The statue is decorated with shimmering crystals, mystical symbols, and extravagant bouquets of flowers adding a sense of joy to the occasion. The village elders, wise and experienced mages, take their places surrounding the statue, ready to guide the young ones on their magical journey. Each child, filled with a mix of nervousness and excitement, steps forward one by one. With a wave of their hands, the elders perform an ancient ritual, channeling the magical energy of the soul. A soft, ethereal light envelops the children, as they close their eyes and open their hearts to the possibilities that lie within. One by one, the children's unique magical abilities are revealed. Some summon gusts of wind, sending colorful ribbons dancing through the air. Others create beautiful illusions, turning the square into a kaleidoscope of mesmerizing images. Some even display the power to heal, mending wounds and soothing hearts. The village erupts in cheers and applause, celebrating the discovery of each child's magical gift. Parents and loved ones embrace their little ones, proud of the incredible potential they possess. It's a day of joy, unity, and the celebration of the extraordinary in every child. As the night sky twinkles with stars, the village continues to revel in the magic that surrounds them.

The last of the kids step out from beneath the statue. The correlation was over, well almost. A small girl came running over.

"Am I too late for correlation?" she asks.

"No, not at all," the elder said.

The girl steps under the statue, excitement in her eyes determined to figure out her power. The elders waved their hands chanting the ritual. A few seconds passed after the ritual was spoken, but no light appeared. As the young girl moves her hand, unaware of the dark power within her, a person from the crowd suddenly screams in pain. The realization dawns on everyone that the girl's power has caused a tragic accident, resulting in the person's death. The village people, consumed by fear and anger, react with horror and begin to call her names, labeling her as the devil.

"MY HUSBAND IS DEAD, MURDERER!!!!!"

"DEVIL!"

"MONSTER!"

"KILL IT BEFORE IT KILLS SOMEONE ELSE!"

In the midst of the chaos, the young girl's mother bravely steps forward to protect her daughter.

"STOP PLEASE SHE'S A CHILD!" She pleads with the enraged villagers to stop, explaining that it was an accident.

Her love for her child shines through as she shields her from the angry mob, desperately trying to make them understand. The atmosphere is tense and emotions run high as the villagers struggle to comprehend the situation. She took her chance to grab her child and run home. Her husband followed close behind, seeming already to be winded.

(Your POV/ Author)

The pitter-patter of your mom's feet was heard as her foot made contact with the ground within each second.

"Mom"?

.

.

.

.

No response.

"Mom?" you asked again.

"Hold on sweetheart," she spoke.

You stayed quiet the rest of the time. You sensed a wave of distress from your parents, but that couldn't be. What have you done? They were scared of the others, but you weren't scared of them. Were you? No, they were always nice. Mr, Burner would give you free cinnamon buns from his bakery every Saturday. Ms, Cristal would let you help her plant the flowers in the public garden. Why did they look so hateful?

A voice broke you from your thoughts. Looking up from your mom's shoulder you didn't even realize that you were home.

"Mom, why were they angry?"

"Nothing, run along to your room please."

"-But mom-"

"I said run along." She spoke with a stern voice. You stiffened and hurried to your room. She waited till you were gone or at least when she no longer could see you. Whipping her head towards her husband who was still trying to catch his breath from all the running she storms towards him and grabs the collar of his shirt. "I can't believe you left her alone! You were supposed to watch her!" she exclaimed, her words laced with disappointment. You peeked through the doorway watching the whole commotion.

"Excuse me, 'WE' were supposed to watch her. You ran off to the correlation that 'WE' told each other we would stay away from especially now with her."

'Mom and Dad didn't want to go to the correlation? Why, though? It's so pretty.'

"I was simply trying to tell the record-keeper that we wouldn't be there. Don't you think it's getting kinda suspicious that we have never once attended the correlation day?"

"I suppose, but wouldn't that make it even more suspicious? What if they decide to knock on our door and find her?

"We can move to another town-"

"They still don't have proof it's our kid... we still have time to live here-"

'Wha-'

"And throw her out on the streets or worse hand her over to the likes of them?! What kind of father are you? She's the last descendant for all we know! I could've also had the same power as her dammit! Would you throw me out on the streets?!"

"Dear of course not-"

"Then WHY?"

"It was stupid of me, I'm sorry. It's just both of us came from bad sides of history and we promised to not enable our powers when we met, but now what she has- it's well... *Sigh* W-we need to do something, and that something needs to be quick or we'll all die."

'Are they talking about me? Did Dad want to give me away?! What's wrong with me? Am I the cause of all the villagers looking mad?!'

To say you were scared was an understatement, you were terrified. You shuffled to your room and cuddled into your sheets. Slow uneven sobs were heard. You couldn't hold your fear back. Your guilt. This was all YOUR FAULT. Your parents were in danger because of you, and now the whole village wants you dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Hi soooo, yeah changed the story... A LOT, but this is for the best because I find more joy in writing this one. And hey you get cooler powers!!!!!

Updates will still be slow until May of 2024.)