Chapter Ten: Gratitude In The Form Of Silence

I let out a sigh of relief as I lowered my body into the pool, feeling my muscles ache with every movement I made. The past few days have been wearing me out to the point where my body is even more physically trained when I got out of the car this afternoon. After the film festival, Saint and I were thrown into a series of events– dinners with sponsors and a ton of media interviews. On top of our usual training during race weeks, my body was not used to it. Jasmine had to add a few minutes to our usual post-free practice routine since my muscles were so tight. Usually, we'd sneak in some light training the night before qualifying but she saw how all my body needed was rest.

Leaning my head against the wall of the poolside, I closed my eyes and stayed there. Dom's media plan worked and the rumors about my supposed dating life quieted down when everyone saw me walk out with the Tres Pilotos as if I had three bodyguards with me. Honestly, that was a very clear depiction of how the night went wherein either Saint or Atlas would butt in when they noticed someone was about to make a negative comment while Levi hung back, eyes and ears still observing.

I've rarely seen him since just like us, his team has organized a bunch of stuff that would cover his entire schedule. The few times we bump into one another is in the gym where most of the drivers would spend their free time.

The sound of the door opening reached my ears and I didn't bother opening my eyes to check who it was. I already knew he was going to be here, just like he does every night from when I asked Atlas. I heard momentary rustling as he took off his slides before a splash echoed throughout the room, a few droplets of water touching my skin.

I opened my eyes to see Levi doing a lap to the other side before he turned around underwater and swam back in my direction. He made another lap before stopping about three feet to my left, hands removing the goggles he wore and running his fingers through his hair.

We were both quiet for a few minutes before he spoke up, "Here to crash my pool time again?" He asked although his tone held anything but malice.

I rolled my eyes at him before turning around and holding on to the edge to lift myself up. I sat down and let my feet stay in the water. "I think we've established that the pool time is to be shared, your majesty." I mockingly said, not surprised when he splashed me with some water. I splashed him back before groaning at the movement, my shoulder screaming in protest.

"What's up with that?" He asked, eyes on my hand that was currently pressing against my joints. Monaco isn't the most physically straining track on the race calendar, but with the amount of other factors we have to consider, I can't help but tense up every time I'm about to approach a tight corner. Not only is it a street circuit that barely has a straight, but it's also the hardest track to perform an overtake. Qualifying is a priority just as much as the race because it decides what kind of strategy you'll have. We have to make around fifty gear changes for every lap so it's more of a mental challenge rather than a physical one.

I just hope I'll be ready by the time Sunday arrives.

"It's been a while since I drove on a street circuit." I mumbled, scrunching up my face when I found the exact spot to press my fingers on.

"Did Jasmine give you a massage?" He asked, pulling himself up easily to sit beside me, leaving a respectable amount of space between us. I nodded my head and he watched me for a few seconds before asking, "You didn't stretch, did you?"

I gaped at him, confused as to how he managed to reach that conclusion and be right. "How did you even—"

"Not a rookie, remember?" He smirked and I was struck with how playful Levi looked, hair wet from the water. "Now, do five laps around the pool before you head up."