Chapter XII

"But, in part two... it could be possible that Argylle didn't mean to blow the building up, right?" Tam asked.
They were sitting in a car, driving through the landscape of Portugal. Since the three agents had left Alfie's farm, Rachel and her hadn't stopped talking about the Argylle Books. Aidan seemed to be pretty annoyed by it but the girls either didn't notice or didn't care.
"Well, theoretically speaking, yes. It could have been an accident. But given that I invented- no, I mean given that I used it as a coping mechanism to understand my past, I know that it was no accident," Rachel explained.
"What?"
"Long story short: I was brainwashed, forgot who I was and what I had experienced and the bad guys encouraged me to write books about it to get information," she laughed hysterically, "I still can't put my mind around it but yeah, that's the story behind Argylle."
"So, Argylle is real?!" Tam looked at her in absolute shock.
"Yes. May I introduce myself? My name is Agent R. Kylle."
Tam gasped, "No way!" Then she looked at her brother, who was silently driving the car. Through the rear-view mirror he saw her stare and smiled a bit.
"Wyatt here, yes. It's me," he said.
"You're kidding," Tam couldn't believe it. "Wyatt was my favorite character! You're nothing like him."
"Well-" Aidan began, but was interrupted.
"I know, right? When I understood that I wrote the book about my memories I thought that I must have messed some things up. Because, you see, Argylle is a man, I am not. Wyatt is tall and muscular and-"
"Excuse me?! I am totally average hight! And I may don't look like the Rock or whatever, but I am muscular," Aidan complained.
"Yes, honey. You're strong and tall and wonderful," Rachel said and Tam started to laugh.
"Oh, don't sound so honest when making compliments. I might believe it," he grumbled.
Rachel turned to Tam, "Nevertheless, you're right. I mixed up a couple of things. But from the bottom of the character, Wyatt is pretty much like Aidan. And he's one of my favorite characters, too."
"I hope so!" Aidan exclaimed.
"Today you're pretty insecure, hon. Is there a reason for it?"
"My girlfriend says that the character she wrote, that is me, is not like me because he's stronger and taller. It makes one question things!"
"Ohhh, no," Rachel leaned towards Aidan, "You should be happy that I don't think Wyatt is like you. In the end I would start loving him."
"But" Aidan stopped, "Wait, did you just say you love me?"
"But doesn't that make Argylle and Wyatt gay?" Tam interrupted their talking.
"What?" Rachel and Aidan asked at the same time.
"Yeah, I mean, if you're Argylle, and you love him, who is Wyatt... That would make Argylle gay," she concluded, "But he's not giving a gay-vibe. He could be Bi or Pan, though. Wyatt is totally gay. No question about it."
"Uhm-" Aidan didn't quite know what to say.
"I should write a FanFiction about it," Rachel laughed. "Argyatt."
Tam bursted into laughter. "Please do that. The fans would love it, I'm sure."
"When all this is over, you should have enough time," Aidan thought.
"Wait, you're not against the idea?" Tam asked confused.
"Why would I? It sounds logical that if the inspirations of the characters love each other, that the characters themselves love each other, too."
"Yeah, I know that it's logical, I just... didn't expect you to be supportive."
He looked at her through the mirror again, then raised a hand showing a peace sign, "Hello-o? Biggest Ally here," he said, "My best friend is the Queen of Lesbians."
"Our best friend," Rachel added. "Keira is pretty open about it."
Tam raised her eyebrows, "Keira as in Keira the coolest girl on planet earth, who died in the last book?"
"Yeah, well... because I thought she had died in real life too, I messed up giving her a new name. But she survived."
"And she gave us the tip that made it possible to survive our last mission."
"Vascular tunnel," Rachel smiled and as they looked at each other, Tam could really see how much they were in love.
"But if she survived, can I meet her?" Tam asked quickly. She doubted that she would ever feel comfortable around people who were deeply in love.
"At the moment she is far too busy to see anyone. We haven't seen her since the end of the last mission. But as soon as she finishes her doctor's degree we can visit her," Aidan explained. And only a few minutes later they arrived at the airport.
Their trip took them to Amsterdam, where they had to stay for the night. They arrived there at about eight p.m. and went to eat in a restaurant near the airport.
"Could you order the food?" Aidan asked his half-sister, as they were sitting at a table in the corner.
"I don't speak Dutch," she rolled her eyes. "And no, it's not like German. It might be more similar to German than to English, but no."
"I can speak Dutch," Rachel suddenly added, "I learned some years ago."
"Is there something you can't do?" Aidan wanted to know and leaned forward to kiss her.
Tam quickly turned around, "Maybe I'll go and order anyway."
Rachel laughed, "If you want to."
"I don't want but it's better than being the single at a couple's table."
As if she had seen that the three agents wanted to order, a waitress walked to them and they could order. To Aidan's delight, the waitress spoke flawless English and he could order his food himself.
After dinner, they checked into a hotel Alfie had booked for them and luckily enough they got two separate rooms. So, they split for the night and met the next morning to grab a breakfast and then catch their flight to Chicago.
And when they sat in the airplane, Tam at the window and Aidan in the middle, because Rachel wanted to sit next to the hallway, he leaned towards his sister to whisper:
"Not to be dramatic but say goodbye to Europe for the next weeks. Say goodbye and hope that our beloved division men don't know that were here."
She looked at him, raised one eyebrow and then turned away again.
"No" she said, "not dramatic at all."