30. Defense of Southern Karafuto

"Manchuria and Karafuto seem to be quite different places, don't they?" Lieutenant Colonel Sueo Ikeda, who had disembarked at the port of Ōdomari in southern Karafuto, remarked while surveying his surroundings.

The region around the Siping Army Tank School where Ikeda had previously served as an instructor was characterized by vast plains stretching to the horizon. On the other hand, Ōdomari, where Ikeda had landed, featured undulating terrain even within the urban area, with mountains to the north. The vegetation here was also different from that of Manchuria. The townscape was dotted with simple Japanese-style houses. The scenery conveyed the sense that this was a semi-interior area.

"Now, I suppose we must head further north from here."

Ikeda glanced back at the port, where transport ships were docked. Derrick cranes were lifting Type 3 Chi-Nu medium tanks, and lowering them onto the harbor. These tanks were the equipment of the 11th Tank Regiment, which Ikeda had recently been appointed as the regimental commander, transitioning from his role as an instructor at the Siping Army Tank School.

The deterioration of relations between Japan and the Soviet Union had necessitated defense measures, not only in Manchuria but also elsewhere. In the case of a conflict with the Soviet Union, southern Karafuto and the Chishima Islands would also become frontlines. Therefore, to reinforce defense capabilities, the 11th Tank Regiment was deployed to Sakhalin.

The 11th Tank Regiment, along with the 10th Tank Regiment, formed the 4th Tank Brigade. However, due to the upgrade of equipment to Type 3 medium tanks, the 4th Tank Brigade had been withdrawn from Manchuria to the interior. In exchange, the 3rd Tank Division (the backbone of the 5th and 6th Tank Brigades) had completed equipment upgrades and training in the interior and was dispatched to Manchuria. As a result, the 11th Tank Regiment, with its equipment updated, was allocated to the defense of Karafuto.

The serious consideration of Karafuto's defense began in 1939. Until then, the island had only a minimal force consisting of a reserve infantry company formed by a few garrison units and veterans' associations. However, considering the reinforcement of Soviet forces in northern Sakhalin, on May 11, 1939, the Army organized a mixed brigade in Karafuto. As of April 1944, this brigade consisted of about 4.000 troops, including infantry, mountain artillery, and engineers, organized into individual regiments.

The Karafuto Composite Brigade established its headquarters near Shisuka, close to the Japanese-Soviet border (50th parallel north), and was responsible for the defense of the area north of Nairo to Esutori. As for the southern area, it fell under the jurisdiction of the 7th Division, with its headquarters in Asahikawa, Hokkaidō.

And when the 5th Army, responsible for the defense of Hokkaidō, Karafuto, and the Chishima Islands, under the command of Lieutenant General Kiichirō Higuchi, was established on February 18, 1944, the 4th Tank Brigade, which had been undergoing equ...

And when the 5th Army, responsible for the defense of Hokkaidō, Karafuto, and the Chishima Islands, under the command of Lieutenant General Kiichirō Higuchi, was established on February 18, 1944, the 4th Tank Brigade, which had been undergoing equipment upgrades and training in the interior, was incorporated under its command. As a result, the 10th Regiment was deployed to the Chishima Islands, and the 11th Regiment, led by Ikeda, was deployed to Karafuto.