57. The First Arrow of Counterattack

"Flash of gunfire spotted at distance 8.000!"

"What!?"

The lookout's trembling shout echoed through the bridge of the guard ship Kirov.

Just moments before, the lookout had vaguely spotted what seemed to be a ship in the distance. However, Captain Ponomarev could not be certain whether it was the Japanese fleet or just some mist floating on the sea, mistaken for an enemy ship due to the lookout's tension. While he was still unsure, a flash of gunfire suddenly illuminated the distant dark sea.

"Dammit! Full speed ahead! Evasive maneuvers, now!" Ponomarev shouted his orders. He thought that they had to avoid the enemy shells at all costs.

"Hard to port!"

"Da! Hard to port!"

But before the helmsman could turn the wheel in response to the captain's command, shells from the Japanese fleet began to rain down. The 1.100-ton vessel was surrounded by countless water spouts. Despite it being night, the precision of the shelling was terrifyingly accurate.

Finally, the Kirov began to turn. However, this only led to further chaos among the Soviet fleet. Already shaken by the sudden encounter with the Japanese fleet and the one-sided bombardment, the captains and commanders became even more confused when the flagship suddenly changed course. Most had little to no experience with night combat and didn't know how to respond. Some ships turned to follow the Kirov, while others steered in the opposite direction to escape the Japanese shelling. As a result, the fleet formation completely disintegrated.

However, both Ponomarev and the other captains understood that retreating in the face of the enemy was not an option. Their agitation and fear soon drove them to launch a desperate charge towards the Japanese fleet.

"Comrade Stalin is always watching over you! There is no way our elite Soviet fleet can lose to the corrupt imperialist fleet!"

Ponomarev's exhortation was broadcast to all ships, as much to bolster his own spirits as those of his men.

. . .

On the other hand, the Sendai did not interpret the Soviet fleet's disarray as actual confusion. They understood that the enemy fleet had realized it was being outmaneuvered in a T-formation and had deliberately broken formation to avoid enemy fire and disperse their targeting. Indeed, the Soviet fleet's shift from a single line formation meant the advantage of the T-formation had been lost.

"Each ship is to determine its target individually and continue the attack."

Rear Admiral Ijūin decided that issuing target instructions to the fleet would only create confusion. The Sendai and its eight destroyers continued their barrage. The enemy fleet's position was illuminated by flares bursting overhead.

"Shall we order a charge?" inquired Lieutenant Commander Reiji Ishii, the senior staff officer of the 3rd Destroyer Squadron. For a torpedo squadron, closing in for a torpedo attack was their primary tactic.

"No, ordering a charge now would only result in a chaotic melee that would benefit the enemy," Ijūin replied, shaking his head. He judged that a charge was premature.

"Maintain the current single line formation, keep an appropriate distance, and continue firing. Remain alert for the appearance of enemy torpedo boats."

He was still wary of the potential appearance of Soviet torpedo boats. Although they hadn't launched a surprise attack from the coastline shadows, there was a possibility they might leverage their speed to outflank while the Japanese were engaged with what they mistook for the Soviet torpedo squadron. The Sendai continued her barrage on the leading enemy ship.