Nine:

I carefully rushed from the rock and moved to another nearby. Damon, still under the creature's spell, tried to grab my leg. I dodged him and watched as he growled, struggling to move. He flipped on his stomach, clawing at the floor. My heart broke. I didn't want this for him, I'd never want to see the man I love in pain. But this needed to happen.

"Oh, small human!" the serpent called. "Where are you hiding? Has my lover not killed you yet?!"

Each time she talked about Damon that way, my blood boiled. She planned to use him but kill him after and that—he wasn't a toy to destroy. Nor was I weak enough to kill. Still gripping his dagger, I crouched behind the rock and held the weapon against my chest. Peering over the side, I spotted her a few feet away.

The snake woman slowly slithered in a circle. Her hands remained lifted with her fingers waving beside her ears. Her lips pursed as she searched for Damon and me. She wouldn't find him and by the time she saw me, I'd have attacked.

I sucked in a deep breath as I planned my next move. Once she couldn't see me, I'd attack.

"Small human, small human," she hummed, "won't you surrender and give your heart to me?"

I ground my teeth. I wanted to respond but if I did, she'd find me. This needed to be a surprise attack.

"This needs to happen," she muttered and turned. My eyes widened as I saw the opening. She was exposed, oblivious, and vulnerable.

I ran from behind the rock and jumped on her back. She screeched. "No! New mate, defend me!"

I slammed the blade into her neck as she called for Damon. New mate—she didn't even know his name. Yet, he somehow responded, grunting and yelling. But he didn't come because I made sure he couldn't move. Clinging to the woman, I wrapped one hand around her neck and squeezed as I twisted the blade deeper into her skin.

She screamed as bright red blood spilled out from the wound. "Bitch!"

My brows shot up as I pressed harder. I laughed. "You speak our language," I sneered in her ear. "You're a bitch if you think you can kill me!"

"I will!" She clawed at 8 shoulders but couldn't grab me. "I will cut your heart and dance in your blood!"

"Dance?!" I pulled her head back with my forearm. "You'll be dancing as you die!"

She caught me. The tips of her fingers managed to grab my sleeve and held it enough that she reached my arm, gripped me, and flung me from her shoulder. I ripped the blade from her neck. The throw's momentum caused the weapon to cut from her collarbone to her ear. Blood puddled at her feet as I landed on one knee. I balanced myself on my left foot with my fingers pressed into the rocky floor.

I watched her. "You'll bleed out," I hissed. "But I need your heart."

She cupped her hand over the stab wound. Tears welled in her eyes before falling down her grey, erasing perfection with pain and sadness. She snarled at me. "The Wiloxes stole my life! Why must you do the same?!"

I should've sympathized. A part of my brain told me to feel sorry for her, but I couldn't. We were in the situation of whose life was more important, and for me, Damon and I mattered more than she did.

"They stole my life," I shouted as I jumped up and ran to her. "So, what makes you any better?!"

I lunged at her but her tail whipped from around her, catching my arm with such force, that she tossed me across the room. I didn't stay down. I scrambled to my feet and charged again. "I will kill you!"

"No!" The serpent woman slithered in my direction. Her tail lashed behind her, spinning like a violent pinwheel. Once in front of me, she sharply turned and the motion of her tail's movement caught my chest. The point cut through my clothes and into my skin. I shriek as pain exploded through my front. Blood fell to my feet.