Chapter Twenty Nine

Katrina's eyes widened at she stood in her kitchen, looking at the news with her parents. Three weeks ago, John B. was arrested for the murder of Sheriff Peterkin. Him and Sarah had returned to the island, and went on some great adventure in the Caribbean. Now he was released, and Rafe had been arrested for a crime he did in fact commit.

The pogues had been spewing it all over town, that he killed her. Kiara never came around anymore, Sarah hadn't said a word to Katrina either since she'd been back- their time dedicated to their new lives as pogues. Anna and Mike had just about enough of their daughter, talking to Katrina from time to time to see if she knew anything about her whereabouts. She never did.

It pissed her off, sure. But there wasn't much she could do at that point. It really was their word against the pogues back then. She decided to try not to let it get to her, to push aside what was the truth and stand by Rafe like she promised she would. That wasn't the hard part, though. The hard part was what she'd hear in town from kids on the cut.

"My God, darling. He couldn't really have killed the Sheriff, right? I mean this is outrageous." Katrina's mom said softly in disbelief. Her dad looked at the two of them with a blank face, filling up his coffee mug. The sound of her mother's voice pulled her out of her mental trance, Katrina turning her gaze to the woman.

"No. It's just a mistake. There's no way he'd do that. I mean come on." Katrina bantered, running her hands down her face. This was not something she expected to happen. The past few weeks after her birthday, she'd been with Rafe nonstop- it felt like a dream. She quit her job at The Wreck just because of the rough waters with Kiara, not wanting to deal with the drama. Now, that dream just had to be crushed by reality.

Katrina put her hand over her mouth, trying to find a way to stay calm in all of this. It was all over the news, and she didn't know how the hell he could possibly get out of the situation at hand. They must have evidence against him... he never found the gun that their fight attendant tried to blackmail him and Ward with.

"This is all so crazy. I wonder how Ward and Rose are taking it. And Sarah? My god. She's been missing and now she comes home to this?" Katrina's mom started, and she rolled her eyes. Shaking her head, she sat down on one of the barstools in the kitchen, drinking some of her water.

"Fuck Sarah. She ran away with her crazy boyfriend, that's on her. I'm sure she has something to do with this... He's being framed." Katrina ranted, and her mom looked at her with shock. "Darling?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed. Katrina let out a sigh, holding her eyes shut for moment before apologizing.

"Look, I'm sorry mom but I don't believe this shit. It's bullshit, and you pitying Sarah is too. She was a terrible friend to me, a bad girlfriend to Topper, and she's hanging out with a criminal. Let her be." Katrina defended, crossing her arms and looking at the quartz countertop. A distasteful look sat on her face and she slouched in the barstool.

She'd just woken up to all of this around twelve, not having a clue as to what the hell was going on, or how it even happened. Rafe was just with her two days ago, and now he was possibly in the back of a cop car or in a jail cell. Her mind was going crazy.

"Where do you think he's at? Rafe?" Katrina asked, her father looking up at her with a non expressional look. It was as if none of this was a surprise to him, as if he knew what had happened along with Katrina. He had no reaction to anything going on at the moment.

"Probably at the county sheriffs office. Can't imagine he's booked in the prison already." Her dad told her, and she nodded. Katrina hopped up from the barstool, heading out of the kitchen. "Where are you going sweetie?" Her mom asked, sipping her mimosa. "I have to go do.. something. I can't just sit here while my boyfriend is in jail." Katrina shouted, jogging up the stairs.