𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 - 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐲

The school day had dragged on, each class feeling like an eternity as I struggled to keep up the façade of normalcy. Lily caught up with me as I made my way to my locker, her smile radiant despite the fatigue weighing me down.

"Hey, Theodore! You coming to my party tomorrow? It's gonna be a blast," she chirped, her enthusiasm infectious.

I paused, pulling off convincing smile. 

"I'd love to, Lily, but I've got a ton of stuff to catch up on this weekend. Rain check, okay?"

Lily's smile faltered for a moment before she nodded, understanding flashing in her eyes. 

"Sure thing, Theodore. Just let me know when you're free."

Guilt gnawed at me as I watched her walk away, her disappointment tangible even in the bustling hallway. But the thought of letting my guard down, of exposing the cracks in my façade, was too daunting to bear.

At home, the tension lingered in the air like a heavy fog. My parents exchanged worried glances as I picked at my dinner, the silence thickening with each passing moment. They tried to engage me in conversation, but my responses were short, my mind elsewhere.

"Everything okay, sweetheart?" my mom asked, her voice laced with concern.

I forced a smile, the effort feeling foreign on my lips. 

"Yeah, just tired."

But my mom wasn't convinced. 

"You've been distant lately, Theodore. Is there something you want to talk about?"

I shifted uncomfortably, the weight of their expectations pressing down on me. 

"Just stressed about school, that's all."

My dad chimed in, his tone gentle yet probing. 

"You know you can talk to us about anything, right? We're here for you, son."

The words hung in the air, heavy with unspoken truths and unacknowledged fears. I felt the weight of their expectations crushing me, the pressure to be perfect stifling any chance of vulnerability.

But my parents weren't about to let me off the hook that easily. The conversation veered into uncomfortable territory, their concerns bubbling to the surface in a torrent of emotions.

"We're worried about you, Theodore," my mom began, her voice trembling with unshed tears. "You've been shutting us out, pushing us away. We just want to help."

My dad nodded in agreement, his expression a mixture of frustration and concern. 

"You can't keep bottling up your emotions, son. It's not healthy."

I felt a surge of anger rising within me, the unfairness of their accusations burning hot against my skin. 

"I'm fine, okay? I don't need you hovering over me like I'm some kind of project."

The words spilled out before I could stop them, a tidal wave of pent-up frustration and resentment. But even as the heat of my anger faded, the emptiness remained, a gaping void that no amount of words could fill.

With a mumbled excuse, I retreated to my room, seeking refuge in the familiar embrace of my art. Alone in the quiet of my room, I stood before my half-finished self-portrait, the swirls of color a reflection of the chaos within.

Despite the late hour, I found myself drawn back to the canvas, the lure of creation too strong to resist. With each stroke of the brush, I poured my soul onto the canvas, the colors blending and shifting in a dance of emotion.

The portrait took shape before my eyes, a distorted reflection of the Theodore Beaumont the world knew. But as I stood back to survey my creation, I couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness that lingered in the room.

No, the portrait still has to be perfect.

As the hours went by, I decided set down my brush with a heavy heart, the portrait near finished, but brimming with untold emotion. Tomorrow was another day, another battle to be fought in the endless war against myself. And as I drifted off to sleep, I couldn't help but wonder if I would ever find the peace I so desperately sought.