𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔 - 𝐒𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐚𝐲

I sit in my room, engulfed in the suffocating silence of my thoughts. The weight of the week bears down on me like an insurmountable burden, pressing against my chest with each labored breath. How did it come to this? How did I become trapped in the labyrinth of my own perfectionism?

The events of the past days replay in my mind like a relentless loop, each moment a testament to the façade I've meticulously constructed.

"You're doing so well, Theodore,"

"You're the model student, the one everyone looks up to."

"I wish I was just as smart as you."

"You're so perfect."

They say, their voices a chorus of praise that rings hollow in my ears. But beneath the surface lies a different truth, one I'm desperate to escape.

Lily's concern echoes in the recesses of my mind, her words a beacon of light in the darkness of my doubt.

"Are you okay, Theo?"

Her voice echoing in my mind. I've always brushed off her inquiry with a dismissive smile, unwilling to confront the turmoil simmering beneath the surface.

Night descends like a shroud, casting long shadows across the room that mirror the darkness in my soul. A soft knock rouses me from my reverie, my parents' voices a gentle melody in the stillness.

"Theodore, can we talk?" My heart clenches at the sound.

I invite them in, my façade crumbling under the weight of their concern.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" my mom asks, her eyes brimming with worry. I open my mouth to speak, but the words stick in my throat, choking me with their weight.

"It's nothing," I say, the words tasting bitter on my tongue. But they see through the façade, their expressions a mirror of my own turmoil.

"Theodore, please," my dad pleads, his voice cracking with emotion. "We just want to help."

Help? The word reverberates in the silence, a cruel reminder of my own inadequacy.

"Help?" 

I scoff, the bitterness seeping into my words like venom. "What could you possibly do to help? You don't understand, none of you do!"

Tears blur my vision as I unleash the storm raging within me, the words pouring out in a torrent of frustration and despair.

"I'm tired!" I cry, the admission like a weight lifted from my shoulders.

"Tired of pretending, tired of always trying to be perfect when I'm anything but—" I pause, tears streaming down my face, I couldn't hold it in anymore.

My parents watch in silence, their faces a canvas of emotions too complex to decipher. 

"We're here for you, Theodore," my mom whispers, her voice a lifeline in the tempest. But it's too late. The anger consumes me, fueling the flames of my own destruction.

With trembling hands, I reach for the portrait, the symbol of everything I've tried so desperately to conceal. In one swift motion, I tear it apart, the canvas yielding to the force of my fury. The room fills with the sound of tearing fabric, a symphony of destruction that mirrors the chaos within.

Silence descends once more, broken only by the echo of my ragged breaths. The pieces lie scattered at my feet, a mosaic of shattered dreams and broken promises. And in that moment, I realize the truth I've been running from all along: perfection is just an illusion, a mask we wear to hide the scars beneath.

I sink to the floor, the weight of my own inadequacies pressing down on me like a leaden weight. My parents huddle close, their presence a comforting embrace amidst the chaos. Amidst the ruins, a flicker of hope remains a beacon of light in the darkness. For in the wreckage of my own making, I find the courage to begin anew.

Finally, I'm free.