08. The Mission

It's been four days since Blade said he'd be back the next night, and he hasn't actually been back

My mind wanders to all of the trouble he could be in but I don't even really know about what he does in his stupid little gang. I'm tempted to call my dad and ask him about it, but I'm not that dumb. If he didn't tell me for the last 19 years he's not going to tell me now.

If it was Blade's plan to show up into my life and suddenly leave trying to make me worry about him, well, it worked.

Maybe you miss him too.

No, shut up!

I roam into the cafeteria and immediately get the eerie feeling of being watched. The comments Skye made about people staring at me creeps into my mind. I guess I never noticed it before because I didn't know they were there, now I do and I can't shake the feeling.

I look left to right, scanning the room until my vision lands on Rhett leaning on the wall in the corner, his eyes trained on me. He's not even being discreet about it.

Narrowing my eyes I stomp over to him.

"You don't have anything better to do than stalk me?!"

He's shocked for a second that I came over to talk to him, but he quickly recovers and looks amused. "No, actually. I don't," he answers.

"Why is it still your job to watch me?"

He furrows his brows. "Why wouldn't it be?"

"I don't know, maybe when you don't hear from someone after they said you would it leads you to believe they finally gave up."

"He'll be back soon. Trust me, he's far from giving up."

"Where is he?" I ask nonchalantly, trying to make it seem like I don't care.

"I can't tell you. That's for him to tell you."

I roll my eyes. "If he's with a girl you can just tell me. You don't have to cover for him."

His lip twitches up. "Why, are you jealous? Are you seriously thinking he's off with a girl somewhere?" He chuckles.

"I can't be jealous of someone I barely know," I spit back.

"You don't have anything to worry about. He's not cheating on you."

"I told you, I'm not worried about that—"

I'm cut off when I notice Skye at the corner of my eye walking to the lunch line. She doesn't notice me yet. "Look, you're gonna be watching me anyway. Why don't you just come and eat lunch with Skye and I?"

"Okay, go get your lunch. I'll get us a seat," he agrees, eyeing the short skirt Skye is wearing.

This is the first time I'm eating lunch in the real cafeteria all week, I've been working extra hard on the dress for the assignment coming up — even working during lunch. I just can't seem to get it right. The only rules are that it has to include 2 colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel, but I want to wow my professor. He always seems to never be impressed with my work.