𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘆-𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻.

FINE LINE - THE SECOND TASK

The time between Mavis and Hermione's kiss to the second task seemed to have gone by in a blur. There wasn't a day that went past where Mavis wasn't researching different ways to breathe underwater for an hour, whether that was in class or, much to Hermione's excitement, in the library.

Since their kiss, Mavis and Hermione were even closer than before, wherever Hermione was Mavis was right around the corner and vice versa. Nobody saw one without the other. Despite their attempts to keep it on the low, the two just couldn't help from going on secret trips to secluded parts of the castle.

With their newfound relationship, Mavis didn't actually get much research done. Going from snogging Hermione in the restricted section of the library to sending discreet touches when they were in the presence of others, Mavis supposed she'd have to pay the price.

So Mavis, thinking that she would soon have had enough of the library to last her a lifetime, buried herself once more among the dusty volumes, looking for any spell that might enable a human to survive without oxygen.

However, though Mavis, Harry, Hermione and Ron searched through their lunchtimes, evenings and whole weekends - though Mavis asked Professor McGonagall for a note of permission to use the Restricted Section, and even asked the irritable, vulture-like librarian, Madam Pince, for help - they found nothing whatsoever that would enable her and Harry to spend an hour underwater and live to tell the tale.

Familiar flutterings of panic were starting to disturb Mavis now, and she was finding it difficult to concentrate in lessons again. The lake, which Mavis had always taken for granted as just another feature of the grounds, drew her eyes whenever she was near a classroom window, a great, iron-grey mass of chilly water, whose dark and icy depths were starting to seem as distant as the moon.

Just as it had done before she had faced the Greyscale, time was slipping away as though somebody had bewitched the clocks to go extra fast. There was a week to go before February the twenty-fourth.

'There was still time,' Mavis thought...

There were five days to go...

'I am bound to find something soon,' Mavis convinced herself.

Three days to go...

'Please let me find something... please...' Mavis was begging.

Mavis felt as though she was trapped in a nightmare. She was fully aware that even if, by some miracle, she managed to find a suitable spell, she'd have a real job mastering it overnight. How could she have let this happen? Why hadn't she got to work on the egg's clue sooner? Why had she ever let her mind wander in class - what if a teacher had once mentioned how to breathe underwater?