𝟬𝟬𝟭 - 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝘁

⋆。˚☽˚。⋆

1 week before the reaping

(TW: mentions of war)

THERE WERE VERY FEW THINGS that irritated Eyana, and one of them was when something she planned didn't go according to her plans. It wasn't that she was a perfectionist; she just didn't like the fact that the last week of June had such cold days. It was not normal; there was no logic.

Things without logic make her uncomfortable, as if she has no control over a situation. Again, she wasn't bossy or anything like that; she just enjoyed to have control over her own life and body, something she lacked during the dark days of the war.

The sense of being hunched in her parents bed, covered in cold and hunger, and terrified of the loud noises that plagued the Capitol streets was something Eyana remembered vividly, even though she could not recall nearly everything that had transpired in those nightmare and faraway days.

Her mother had disappeared on a cold summer morning, a morning like those, but with more fog, or maybe it was smoke; she didn't remember for sure; what she knew was that she couldn't tell the difference at the time.

And, while Eyana vowed to herself that the absence of rationality was the one thing that terrified her the most, she knew deep down that the memories of her mother and the war, or possibly the lack thereof, were what troubled her the most.

Regardless, there was something unsettling about the ambiguity, and that did not please her at all.

The skylight window was open, allowing the improper temperature to enter Eyana's room. She sighed and hugged her arms in a ridiculous attempt to warm herself, then glanced around the room for her red uniform blazer, which she spotted on top of the crystal and book shelves.

In all honesty, she had never been fond of the red hue of her uniform; it just didn't fit her. Yet since the uniform was the only item of apparel permitted in the academy, she opted to wear the blazer only in cold weather and rarely wore it during lessons.

In the school days she had no choice but to wear the red item, which resulted in her turning up her nose in annoyance. Despite her lack of fashion knowledge, Eyana was able to recognize when something was in very poor taste, and unfortunately for her, the everyday uniform suited the statement well.

"Nyna! Open the door!" Haakon's scream sounded from the other side of the wooden door, and she furrowed her brows worriedly as she approached the door, attempting to place one of the jacket sleeves on her arm. "Finally, I thought I was going to have to scream even more!" The youngest muttered this as he walked by his sister without looking at her before throwing himself upon the unmade bed.

"What are you doing up so early?" Eyana inquired, perplexed, as she approached her wardrobe to retrieve her heels, and giggled when the youngest sigh exaggeratedly was heard by her. "Dad is downstairs, and he insisted that we all have breakfast together." He muttered as he stared up at the skylight window, too busy to observe Eyana's astonished expression.