With Great Power

"Hello Anne." Grime replied as he folded his hands, "Do you know why I'm here?"

"Lemme guess. It's because you wanted to let me know how Sasha's doing?" Anne said sarcastically. However, Grime didn't chuckle like he would when Sasha would make sarcastic remarks. Instead he just sighed.

"No Anne. I'm here because Maggie and you got into a fight." Grime replied, his tone more serious than usual.

"Yeah I figured." Anne said, flopping down onto the small hospital bed in the nurse's office, "And in my defense, I was only defending Marcy. I didn't pick that fight."

"I know Anne." Grime replied, his tone slightly softer, "I did watch the security cameras. It was obvious that Maggie was the instigator."

"So I'm gonna head home scot free?" Anne replied while raising an eyebrow.

"Anne. That's not how this works." Grime replied, "While you can plead self defense, there is one small problem."

"What? Does me sticking up for a friend not fall under self defense?"

"No that's not it." Grim replied, "It's the damage you've done." This caused Anne's face to fall. She did do a lot of damage to Maggie now that she thought about it. "We're pretty sure you broke her jaw, Anne. That's not exactly something that's easy to recover from. And it's gonna cost a lot of money in hospital bills. Something that your grandfather might have to pay."

"What?!" Anne said, shooting up in her seat, causing some blood to drip from her nose, "Hop-Pop can't afford that!"

"Neither can Maggie's parents." Grime replied, giving Anne a stern look, his one scarred eye more intense than the other, "Now if it's only a crack or a fracture, then it's a different story." Grime said, relaxing in the chair, "That's something that much easier to recover from. But it'll still put Maggie in a bad place for a few weeks."

"So what you're saying is, I'm screwed?" Anne replied, rubbing her broken nose.

"Not entirely." Grime said, "It's obvious Maggie caused some serious damage to your nose. So if it is just a crack, then you'll have a good defense in court." Grime then rubbed the bridge of his nose, "But that's all that I came here to talk to you about Anne."

"Well then why did we talk about this so long?"

"Because it would better allow me to discuss our next topic." Grime said, folding his hands again, "About you."

"What else is there to talk about other than my fight with Maggie?" Anne muttered.

Grime sighed, trying to find the best way to get his point across, "Anne. There's a saying that I think you should hear." Anne only let out an annoyed grunt in response, "With great power, comes great responsibility. Do you know what that means?"

"No." Anne mumbled.

"It means; when you have a lot of power, you also have a responsibility to use that power correctly. Take myself for example," Grime said gesturing to himself, "I have a lot of power in this city, being the police captain and all, but that also means I have the responsibility to use that power to keep people safe."

"But I was keeping someone safe!" Anne replied, frustratedly as she shot up again, causing a bit more blood to drip onto her shirt, "I was protecting Marcy!"

"Keeping others safe doesn't just mean fighting," Grime replied, causing Anne to flop back down, "While in my case it can mean fighting a lot, a good part of my job is to de-escalate a situation. To talk criminals into coming in quietly, so no one gets hurt. You had a lot of power over Maggie today, but you weren't responsible with it. You could've remained on the defensive, and waited for a teacher to restrain Maggie, but instead you attacked her, and now you might get in a lot of legal trouble because of it."