Chapter One

The first rays of dawn filtered through the sheer curtains of Emma's new flat, casting a soft golden glow on the room. She cradled her three-month-old daughter, Lily, in her arms as the world outside stirred to life. The peacefulness to the morning was in stark contrast to the whirlwind of emotions that had consumed her over the past few weeks.

Emma had never imagined she'd be a single mum. Her relationship with Mark had been a whirlwind romance, a story straight out of one of her cherished romance novels. He seemed like the love of her life, a character brought to life from the pages of her imagination. But then, reality had shattered her dreams.

Discovering that Mark had another family and child, that he chose them over her and their baby, had been a painful revelation. The man she thought was her knight in shining armour had turned out to be a deceitful ghost of her imagination.

Now, in her new, modest flat, Emma was determined to face the harsh reality of life as a single mother. She stared out of the window, her mind racing with thoughts of how to make this new chapter better, how to forge a future for herself and Lily. The possibilities seemed endless and daunting, but one thing was certain: she had to be strong for her daughter.

As the sun continued its ascent, Emma made a silent promise to herself and Lily, she would create a new love story, one that was built on strength, resilience, and the unwavering love she felt for her daughter. The pen of her life had just started a new chapter, and she was determined to write it with courage and hope.

Emma had been carrying the weight of her secret like a heavy stone in her chest. Her life had unravelled so suddenly that she hadn't found the words to tell her friends the truth. It had been weeks since the break up, and she'd been avoiding her antenatal class friends and her two best friends Sarah and Megan, dreading the moment when she'd have to reveal her new reality.

One sunny morning, she agreed to meet her antenatal class friends for a coffee. They gather at the local café, each mother cradling her baby with smiles on their faces. The babies had grown, and their conversation revolved around their little ones' latest milestones.

Emma couldn't help but notice how easy it was for the others to discuss their partners and husbands. When the conversation turned to her, she felt the truth bubble up, and she couldn't hold it in any longer. Her voice trembled as she finally confessed. "Well, guys, there's something I need to tell you. Mark and I...we're not together anymore. He has another family, another child. Lily and I are on our own."

Silence fell over the table as her friends' expressions shifted from excitement to shock. They were half expecting her to say that her and Mark had gotten engaged finally. Emma's secret had left them speechless, and she knew the same difficult conversation loomed with her two closest friends, Sarah and Megan. But as the initial shock wore off, her antenatal class friends enveloped her in their support and reassured her they were there for her, and for Lily.

With that first step taken, Emma realized that she couldn't continue to avoid the inevitable. She needed to share the truth with Sarah and Megan, two friends that had been with her through thick and thin. The truth had to be spoke, what was she so afraid of? Making it feel real? It was real, this is her reality now, and she needs to step on the path of healing and a new life as a single mum.

Emma couldn't escape the inevitable any longer. After her heart-to-heart conversation with her antenatal class friends, she knew that her best friends deserved to know the truth. With a heavy heart and a trembling hand, she picked up her phone and dialled Sarah's number.

"Hey Sarah," she began, her voice wavering, "Could we meet up? I really need to talk to you and Megan."

Sarah sensed the gravity in Emma's voice and immediately agreed to a meet-up.