it's lights out...

November 20th, 2022 - Yas Island, UAE

Sirius rounded the sixteenth corner and sailed across the finish line, fist raised high and shouts of encouragement spilling from his radio. He'd done it. He'd done exactly what he'd wanted to do for his entire life. 

"Oh my god, kid! You did it! Sirius, you absolutely bloody smashed it, you're goddam champion. You deserve it, you honestly do."

He let out an enthusiastic scream and thanked his engineer. "Fuck yeah." It only took him a moment to spot Remus, just behind him, in his mirrors and smile at the thumbs up that the brunette had thrown him. This had been what everything was building up to. His first season in Formula2 and it had ended in the most perfect way possible. By the time he slowed down and eventually stilled on the grid, he still hadn't come down from his high, taking a moment just let the feeling wash over him. 

The stands were erupting around him, practically bursting at the seams as he lifted himself from his car, perching on the halo for a moment to throw waves of gratitude to the fans. He finally landed on the ground and, before he could even register anything, there were two strong arms around his shoulders. 

"Holy shit, dude, you fucking did it. Knew you could," Remus exclaimed, only loud enough for Sirius to hear before releasing him, with two knocks to his helmet, and letting the rest of their team congratulate the eighteen-year-old. With most of his team distracted, understandably, Remus managed to enjoy a miniscule moment to himself. He pried his helmet off slowly and ran a hand through his hair in a way that caused an onslaught of screams to fall upon his ears. He passed his helmet off and didn't get another second before reporters were hounding him. 

"Remus, hi, got a second?" Ah, Lily Evans, the one reporter that Remus would always have time for. No bullshit, no lies, no overly intrusive questions. Just a nice chat, a few jokes, and an infectious smile. What wasn't to like?

"For you, Lily, always," Remus replied, smiling at the laugh that bubbled up from the redhead. "So, obviously, it's the final race of the season and you finished P2, a position that you've been getting pretty comfortable in for a while now, how are you feeling?"

"Honestly, it felt really good out there. I mean, there's always this great atmosphere surrounding the last race, there's a lot riding on it. But we did well. Everything went smoothly, the entire team are just amazing and do the absolute best for us, so yeah, I'm really happy performance wise."

Lily shot him a glistening smile and congratulated him, as well as thanking him for his response. "I mean, I think I also have to ask about Sirius. Winning his first F2 championship at the end of his very first season after only spending a single season in F3, you must be proud?"

Remus smiled at the question, liking the way Lily worded it in a non-condescending way as his eyes scanned over Sirius chatting away in his own interview. 

"Oh god, I don't think I've ever been prouder of anyone. He feels like my little brother, honestly, and he'll probably kill me for saying that," Remus laughed, pulling a soft giggle from Lily. "No but he's done so incredibly well this season. Watching him out there, and even away from the track, is just incredible. He's so insanely talented and dedicated to what he does that I have no doubt he'll be collecting F1 championships like they're easy; in no time."

Lily nodded and thanked him for his openness before letting wander into his garage, returning to the flurry of hugs and back slaps that were thrown his way; smile never faltering across his cheeks. 

The next few hours were a whirlwind and Remus felt like he hadn't rested in years, by the end of it. It wasn't long before he found himself standing next to Sirius, covered in champagne, and revelling in the younger's biggest win. Eventually, he had been able to relax back into his plane seat, enjoying his newest oversized hoodie and the book that was splayed open in his lap.