Chapter One - En Route Amsterdam

𝗔𝗮𝘀𝗵𝗮 𝗬𝗲𝘂𝗻𝗴

I tried to wipe the tears from my eyes as I hugged my parents. I was excited to be moving to Amsterdam, but I was also a little sad to be leaving my parents, who I had lived with my entire life.

"As soon as you land, please give us a call," my mum reminded me.
"Will do mum, stop worrying," I assured her.

When my gate was announced, I hugged my parents one more time, grabbed my luggage, and made my way across the airport.

We may seem overly dramatic, but my parents were worried about me because I've never been away from them for more than two weeks. I should, however, go live my life and make an effort to be more independent now that I am twenty-four.

As I sat there waiting to take off, I closed my eyes. Travelling was something I detested despite doing it so frequently. You're so far from the ground, and I'm sure the pilots want to stay alive as much as I do, but I was still anxious.

I didn't pay attention to the shuffling in the seat next to me since I felt like I was struggling to breathe. I think my blood pressure dropped as I hyperventilated, but it would pass quickly.

"Hey, are you okay?" a male's voice asked as I felt a hand on my shoulder. I took my head out of my hands, looked at him and nodded. When he realised his hand was still on me, he seemed embarrassed, removed it swiftly, and apologized. "Sorry, I asked if you were okay, but you didn't seem to hear me. Fear of plane rides?" I nodded again.

"I have some soundproof headphones if you want," and before I could respond, he pulled them out and gave them to me.

"Thank you but I'll be okay after we take off," I managed to find my words and forced a small smile at him.

"Girlll put them on, you need them," he chuckled and placed them on for me. I closed my eyes again. We eventually started moving, and my stomach dropped causing me to grab his hand out of instinct. He immediately placed his other hand on top of mine, drumming his fingers.

We were now flying smoothly, and I began to relax. I noticed that my knuckles were white from holding onto his hand. I let go, apologized, removed the headphones, and returned it to him. Again, he laughed. What a happy dude.

"My name's Drew," he spoke in English with a Dutch accent.

"Aasha, Sha Sha for short even though it's still two syllables," I reciprocated giving him a small smile. We've barely met, yet his aura made me feel at ease.

For the first time, I looked at him properly. He appeared to be around my age, slender and lean, maybe 5'7" tall, with healthy hair that stood out. He had a fairly grown-out crew cut, with light ash tips and golden bronze roots. He wore earrings and had neatly shaped eyebrows. Compared to me, this guy was far more well-groomed. His manicured, green-painted nails were short and natural. I thought they were so pretty, but I didn't say anything. His appearance and wardrobe alone suggested that he is quite the character.

"Nice to meet you darling. Are you okay now?" he asked, and I nodded again.

"I'm guessing you're not from Panama?" I continued the conversation.

"Nope, I came for a two-week holiday there. It's really, very lovely. Truly uplifting for my spirit."

This guy and his descriptions. I smiled, "Yeah, it's great. I've been living in Panama for seven years but now I'm moving to Amsterdam."

"I currently live there," he said referring to Amsterdam. "What made you decide to move?"

"I applied for a job and got it, but I also want to experience new things so here I am."