Fading Hope

As I sat in Marco's office, now commandeered as my own, the weight of recent events hung heavy in the air. I glanced around the room, meeting the eyes of Pascoe, Salvatore, and Giovanni. "Thank you for coming," I began, my voice steady despite the storm raging within me.

"Why did you call us here, Chris?" Giovanni inquired, his voice laced with a hint of skepticism.

I met his gaze with a solemn expression, the weight of my decision heavy on my shoulders. "When I rejoined the Vipers, I didn't plan on truly helping Marco rise to the top," I began, my voice measured but resolute.

Pausing to gather my thoughts, I continued, "I want to wipe out the Black Lotus. Completely."

Pascoe's eyes widened in surprise, while Salvatore nodded in silent agreement. Giovanni's expression remained neutral, his thoughts concealed behind a mask of composure.

"Why now, Chris?" Pascoe questioned, his voice calm but insistent.

I took a deep breath, steeling myself for the confession that lay ahead. "Because I've come to understand the importance of protecting what Marco stands for," I explained. "Despite our differences, despite the mistakes he's made, Marco embodies the spirit of the Vipers. He's fought tooth and nail to keep our family together, to protect our territory from outside threats."

My words hung heavy in the air, a testament to the newfound clarity that had taken root within me. "And I won't stand idly by while the Black Lotus threatens everything he's built," I declared, my voice firm with resolve.

Pascoe's expression softened, a flicker of understanding crossing his features. "I see," he replied, his tone reflective. "So what's the plan, Chris?"

I lean forward, meeting Pascoe's gaze with unwavering determination. "We strike hard and fast," I stated, my voice tinged with urgency. "We gather our forces, gather our intel, and hit them where it hurts. We won't stop until the Black Lotus is nothing but a distant memory."

Giovanni offered a nod in response, a silent affirmation of his dedication to our cause. "Consider it done, Chris," he replied, his tone resolute. "I'll provide the necessary funds to see this through. Whatever you need, just say the word."

Salvatore, ever the loyal ally, his expression fierce with determination. "My people will join forces with the Vipers," he declared. "We'll gather all the necessary intel and execute the plan flawlessly."

Pascoe, always the strategist, chimed in next, his mind already spinning with possibilities. "I'll work on devising a plan to use against the Black Lotus," he stated, his tone filled with determination. "We'll exploit their weaknesses and hit them where it hurts the most."

As Giovanni and Salvatore departed to make the necessary arrangements, Pascoe remained behind. "Are you sure about this, Chris?" Pascoe inquired, his gaze probing, searching for reassurance amidst the uncertainty.

"Listen, Pascoe," I began, my voice tinged with a vulnerability I seldom allowed myself to show. "At first, my plan was simple—get Marco to meet all the people he wanted, tie up loose ends, and then disappear forever."

I paused, allowing the weight of my confession to hang in the air before continuing. "But things changed. Marco changed," I admitted, the truth spilling forth like a dam bursting under pressure. "And it made me realize something—I never stopped loving him, even after everything he did."

Pascoe's expression softened with understanding, a silent acknowledgment of the complexities that defined our relationship with Marco. "I get that, Chris," he said gently, his voice a soothing balm to the rawness of my emotions.

I nodded in gratitude before pressing on, my resolve unwavering despite the vulnerability of my confession. "Even though Marco and I didn't always see eye to eye on how to take this gang to the top, seeing him hurt because of his enemies... it changed everything," I admitted, the weight of my admission heavy on my shoulders.