Chapter 5

Now morning at breakfast Winter just sat down at the table. "Glad you're finally decided to join us, now on the topic of careers" Finnick started. Finnick then looked at Wyatt and spoke " I heard you became friends with 12's male, correct?" Finnick asked Wyatt. "Yea" Wyatt answered as he sipped on his juice. "Good, I heard he got into a slight fight yesterday in training" Finnick spoke as his eyes were only on Wyatt. "Yea" Wyatt spoke. "With who?" Finnick asked as he leaned on his elbows. "2's male" Wyatt answered. "Ahhh, Cato Hadley" Finnick leaned on the table more. "He's a career, know what that is?" Finnick asked looking at both Wyatt and Winter. "From District 1, 2, or 3" Winter answered, biting her egg. Winter knew everything there was to know about the games.

Finnick nodded before continuing. "They're trained in a special academy-"

"Until they're 18, and then they volunteer" Winter finished, she looked up at Finnick, who looked like he didn't know weather to be impressed or mad that she interrupted him. Instead, he decided to go with the expression ' why am I even surprised.'

"So how good are they?" Wyatt asked, looking at Finnick. Winter saw the fear in Wyatt's eyes even if Finnick didn't notice. Finnick looked at Gray and then back at Wyatt and shrugged. "Obviously they're pretty good, they win the games almost every year, but they can be arrogant. And arrogance can be a big problem" Finnick explained. Winner narrowed her eyes at Finnick " There's a difference between arrogance and confidence" Winter remarked, taking a bite of her food. "Wanna know the difinitions?" she asked with a small chuckle earning a smile from Gray. 

"No thanks" Finnick grumbled, he put his face in his palms. After a minute he sat up straight and cleared his throat and spoke. "You know, Me and Gray here have be wondering" He spoke looking at Winter. "What can you do?" He asked her.  She didn't answer him and kept eating until Wyatt spoke. "She can use almost every weapon and she's really good with survival skills" Wyatt and answered for her leaving her impressed on how well he knew her and they only met a few times before the whole reaping and stuff. Winter then snapped out of it and scoffed. "When have you seen me with weapons?" Winter asked looking Wyatt who looked away. Winter looked at Finnick, "Wyatt is fast"

"What?" Wyatt interjected, frowning at Winter. "I've seen him, he's a really fast runner" Winter said, remembering that one time when she was throwing her knives at a tree to practice when she saw Wyatt running through the woods and climbing the tree all under 10 seconds. "That doesn't mean anything" he stated 
Winter looked at him "yes it does, it means if you need to run you will be able to get away" She commented. "Yea, if they catch I'm dead, Winter" He argued, he looked down at his plate. "You know what everyone in our district said to me when we were about to leave?" He asked. Winter looked at him a little confused and shook her head. "They told me "Do not get in Winter's way, she'll be our winner and you'll die" He spoke leaving everyone at the table stunned. Winter gritted her teeth "they are wrong" She stated. "No, they are all right" Wyatt commented. Winter stood up "Look, if you want to listen to everyone talking you down then be my quest, I'm here trying to give you positively so you'll have a better mind set to win but all you do is listen to everyone and their negative thoughts and I'm done" She walked out of the room and the door of the apartment.

                                      &

Winter stood in the elevator, staring at the ceiling. After everything that happened at dinner, she didn't feel like sitting in her room, confined. Winter couldn't stay there any longer, so she got in the elevator,  and the roof seemed like the only place to go. After a few seconds, the elevator dinged and the doors began to slid open revealing a very beautiful garden spread out over the roof. It had very beautiful bushes, trees and gorgeous flowers that not many get to see due to being so rare. But the most striking elements of the garden were the pure, white roses littered everywhere, sprouting up in the most random of places. She stepped out of the elevator,  taking in the garden and it's beauty. She began to walk through one of the pathways that was cleared in between the flowers and plants. She only glanced at the nature around her, striding over to the edge of the roof that overlooked the entirely of the capital.

Winter closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath of the air that smelled like roses. The city noises filled her ears, sending a wave of calmness over her. Car horns, cheering, and fireworks in the distances. It was quite the opposite of what she was use too. But yet it was almost as calming as the dolphins squeaks and whistles and the ocean was clashing on the sand.

Her mind returned to the dinner conversation. She sat down by the rails her feet dangling over the edge as she went deep in thought. The whole conversation made her want to break something,  Wyatt wouldn't shut up for once. She tried to give him positively but he seemed to love the negatively from everyone else. "But really how could someone be so cruel to tell a child something as harsh as to "Stay out of Winter's way" that's just, uhhh" She groaned. Her head instantly snapped to the elevator at the sound of its ding. She rolled her eyes and faced the city again, leaving on the rails. The sound of the doors opening closed her to look over once more. It was Cato Hadley, he walked out of the elevator,  shoving his hand through his spiked golden blonde hair, she noticed he looked frustrated. She turned back to the city, her legs swaying over the edge.

She could feel his grin and she could feel his eyes land on her. She sighed, knowing he's probably about to approach her. She had a reason to turn around when he stepped on something  causing a large cracking noise sounding across the roof and echoing into the city air. She turned around her, her long white hair falling in her face. She groaned and pushed her hair out of her face. There stood Cato Hadley, arms crossed and a Grin was planted on his nice curved lips. His arrogance made her roll her eyes, earning a chuckle from him. She looked him up and down, he was wearing gray sweatpants and a white tank top hugging his muscular figure. "Hadley" she stated, her voice flat and held no emotion. Her lips were pressed in a thin line. His grin grew a little wider. "I'm flattered you know my name" Cato grinned, his voice low and husky.

"You really shouldn't be" she stated, tilting her head to he side. Cato let out a low laugh, the noise rumbling in his chest and resounding in the air between them. "And why not?" Cato asked, leaning against the other side of the railing. "Because I only bother to remember the names of the people I either plan on creating an alliances with or getting rid of" she stated flatly and blew a sarcastic kiss.

Cato looked stunned, his expression going blank with shock. She tolled her eyes and turned back to the city. When she felt him sit beside her, she looked at him. "I knew, I liked you" He commented with a grin. "Why's that?" she asked. "You some how find a way to make a dead heart beat again and shock me all in the same day" He spoke, his voice still low and husky. "I never met a girl so sarcastic, witty and strong" He stated. "Tho, I haven't seen what you could do" He commented. "One is my sarcasm a problem, Hadley?" she asked quite coldly. He raised his hands sarcastically, surrender "No, I actually quite like it" He answered.  She gave him a small smile and said "unless you're an allie you'll never know what I can do until the games" she stated. He grinned "well I like you so maybe we will be" He stated. She rolled her eyes and got up and walked to the elevator.  As the doors  closed she noticed Cato still looking a her but he suddenly turned his head when he noticed her looking as the doors shut bringing her back to 4's apartment.