chapter 1

My mom hadn't told me much about my father. The only thing she told me about him is that he left us when I was a year old and never returned home. Mom has been trying to call his phone but it has been disconnected. Today is the day that marks 15 years since he left our little family and mom isn’t in the best state on the anniversary that he left us, as I walked downstairs to see my mother I yelled “Mom where are you?” I looked up and down the house but found nothing but a piece of paper that had her messy, cursive handwriting scribbled on it. “Evelyn, I found your fathers new number, and it’s in my safe. The passcode is your birthday, there you will find his number on a piece of paper. Call the number and tell your father that I’m not at home. He will take care of you, but before you think that I left you, I didn't have a choice in the matter. There are people after me. I've been compromised and dangerous people are after me. If i had stayed, not only would they have taken me but you as well. These are dangerous people, so you need to call your father ASAP. I love you, my Evelyn Darling, and I hope we see each other soon.
Love mom”
I read the note over again and ran to my mom’s room in a panic and opened the safe. In the safe, I found a piece of paper with a phone number written on it, a photograph with my mom and dad holding a pink bundle of blankets. It looks like it had to have been when I was being released from the hospital. My parents were staring with bright smiles into the camera. I snatched the number and the picture and ran to my room to get my phone. After I finally found my phone tangled in my blankets, I fumbled to dial the number. After 3 rings, a gruff, deep, annoyed voice answered the phone. “Who the hell is this!” he shouted.
—-----------------------------------------------------------------