chapter 2

I froze after I heard that voice on the other end of the line, and then I said “I need to talk to Matthew Darling, please.” After I said that, he replied with “What the hell is your business with my second in command!” I didn’t know how to reply, but suddenly I said “I’m Evelyn Darling, I'm the daughter of Matthew darling, sir.” He paused then replied “Give me a minute kid…” I heard the man yell for my father and a few moments later I heard the door on the other side of the call open and I heard a man with an even deeper voice start to talk “Who are you kid?” This had to have been him, the man who left us when I was most vulnerable. I had no clue what to feel but I just whispered back “I’m Evelyn Darling Sir, your daughter” The line went dead silent until he said in a voice filled with emotion “Eve is that you baby?” I wanted to reply sarcastically, but momma would beat me senseless if she heard me speak that way to my father. She always raised me to be respectful, and even though he left us, she never spoke ill of him. She always told me that their love was one in a million the truest of true. It didn't make sense to me, considering he left her, but I never pointed that out to her. “Yeah it’s me dad…”I trailed off. I heard him let out a sigh, and he asked, sounding cautious but curious “Where's your mother Eve.” My breath caught in my throat, and I replied with a voice full of sorrow “Dad mom’s not here. That's why I called…”