17

“I wonder who made you?” Eden wondered out loud as she walked alongside the scarecrow. “Do you have a name?” 

Eden tried not to flinch as the pumpkin headed scarecrow turned to meet her gaze. She felt Gabriel wrap an arm around her waist, ready to whisk her away from the stranger should he attempt anything. 

“Gabriel.” Eden said softly as she squeezed his wrist. “It's okay.”

The scarecrow pointed at his pumpkin head. It was pretty obvious that he couldn't talk so Eden figured he wanted her to guess his name. “I would say Pumpkin or Pumpkinhead but neither of those names fit you.” The scarecrow nodded and pointed at his carved out eyes and mouth, smiling at her even wider than before. 

“Oh! It's Jack O'Lantern! Because you literally have a Jack O'Lantern as a head…..that's actually pretty cool.”

Jack clapped his hands in celebration and to the group's surprise, he began to do a series of cartwheels. 

“Gee, he's really happy about you figuring out his name.” Crowley muttered. 

Eden smiled. “He probably hasn't had a conversation with anyone about it before.” 

Jack did a series of cartwheels that circled the four but then quite suddenly the scarecrow veered off into a straight line. He was cartwheeling off amongst the stalks and Eden darted after him. “Wait for me Jack!” 

“Eden, wait!” Gabriel called as Eden tore away from him. “We don't even know where he's taking us!” The Archangel dashed after his wife and the scarecrow without even regarding his father in laws. 

“Crowley, come on before we lose them!” Aziraphale grabbed Crowley’s hand as the two of them rushed to catch up with the rest of the group as Jack burst out of the cornfield. The scarecrow had led them right to the end of the cornfield and Eden was going to follow him but Gabriel stopped her just in time.

“Eden!” Gabriel grabbed her by the wrist. “Stop! We don't know where he's even leading us!” 

“I don't think we're in any danger Gabe.” Eden pointed just beyond the stalks. “He's cartwheeling to that wooden cabin over there.”

“Yeah but we don't know who's in it.” Crowley said when he and Aziraphale finally caught up. 

“There could be anyone in there….” Aziraphale watched as the scarecrow cartwheeled all the way to the cabin's door. “I think we're about to find out.” 

The cabin door creaked open and Crowley and Gabriel shoved their spouses behind them. 

“Stay back!” Gabriel whispered as a figure emerged from the cabin. It was a middle aged woman who stepped out to greet the scarecrow. The strange pair seemed to be talking to each other or rather the woman was doing most, if not, all of the speaking. 

“What's she saying?” Crowley asked as he peeked over Gabriel’s shoulder. “I can't really hear her.”

“I would be able to if you weren't talking in my ear!” Gabriel muttered in reply. As Crowley shot him a dirty look the woman called out to them. “Why don’t you lot come out of the corn and I'll be more than happy to talk to you. And you're just in time for dinner!” 

“Come on out now. I don't bite.” The woman said to the four pairs of eyes that gazed back at her.

Crowley’s eyes narrowed with suspicion as Gabriel looked her up and down. “I don't know if-” 

“Oh for Pete's sake!” Aziraphale pushed past Crowley and Gabriel. “Please madame, we would be most grateful for whatever help you can provide.” Aziraphale beckoned Eden forward. “My daughter is in need of some medical assistance.”

“And some food does sound nice.” Eden added quickly. “If it's not too much trouble.”

The woman smiled as Aziraphale and Eden stepped out of the field to shake her hand in greeting. “No trouble at all. And I'll be more than happy to help you out with whatever you need. Now enough talk, let's get you all inside and we'll get your daughter all cleaned up and get a nice meal in your bellies.” 

“Thank you madame.” Aziraphale said gratefully. He turned to Crowley and Gabriel. “Stop being rude you two and come meet-” Aziraphale glanced at the woman, “Pardon me, but what is your name?”

“Agnes Nutter.” The woman replied without hesitating. She beamed at the shocked looks she received. “Oh don't be so surprised my dears, I have been expecting you after all. Now enough chit-chat, dinner will get cold!”