41

(A week later...)

  "Edge! Look at the note Drought was trying to give you!" Atlanta handed Edge the note.

  Once again, she didn't show any signs of grief. She didn't look like she was harmed by Drought's passing.

  "Just— Please leave me alone." Edge grumbled back.

  For the past week, she had closed herself off to everyone. Even her ill friend, Ji-ho. Edge had been wrapped up in a ball over Drought for awhile.

It was unnecessary.

~*~

  "You're back!" Rustic yelped.

  He began to dart towards them. Wisp quickly pulled him back. She looked at Edge, and whispered something into his ear.

  He nodded. His expression turned a little sad.

  "Still no Drought?" Thought asked Edge.

  She didn't seem to think he was dead. Maybe she just didn't care. Probably the second option.

  Edge shook her head. She turned back to the fumbled mess of her tipi. She curled inside there, and wasn't expected to come out.

  Thought shrugged. "Meh, whatever."

  "So... The note?"

  "Hm? What about it?" Sayuri asked.

  Over the past few days, Sayuri had gotten better. She was now preparing medicine for Ji-ho.

  "The note!" Thought pipped up.

  "Oh, that note." Sayuri said as she came to a realization.

  Rustic looked up. His eyes were instantly glued to the crumpled-up piece of paper. He looked from it to Wisp, before he nudged her.

  Wisp, who was braiding the stems of a couple lily pads together, blinked at him. Confusion shone on her face. He whispered something into her ear, and after a moment, she nodded.

  It was cute how innocent they still were.

  "Uh..." Wisp began. "What does it say?"

  "Oh! It said something about outcasts and leaders!" Atlanta responded giddily.

  "I should probably check again though..." She added quietly. 

  "Outcasts and leaders?"

  She asked, "Good or bad?"

  "Good or bad... I don't know. I think it was good? Wait no, it was bad..." Atlanta murmured to herself.

Good or bad? She had forgotten.

  "Oh! I remember now!" Atlanta exclaimed happily as her mind started to work again. "It said something about kids getting the wrong ability was normal..."

  "Normal?" Thought's usually annoying voice echoed.

"Yeah, it said something about mismatches being normal." Atlanta replied.

  "Huh..." She murmured.

  Thought sauntered up beside Atlanta. She rose up on her toes, and peered at the paper. Her eyes scanned each scribble-like word. Thought's usual judgment eyes grew wide.

  "Moose," She murmured to herself.

  "Wait, what does it say?" Wisp asked a little louder.

  "Read it out loud!"

  Then, Edge came out.

  It went silent. She shivered as eyes were shifted onto her. Then she shifted her posture, patted Wisp and Rustic on the head, and got up to leave.

  "Uh, I'm going to go for a little walk," She mumbled.

  As she left, she added to herself: "Maybe I'll find a bit of Drought somewhere,"

  "She spends too much time worrying about him." Thought huffed. "She's a lost cause."

——

Hdhdhdhdhd