Thirty-Six - Chevelle

I don't know how long I cried for. All I know is that when I was done my stomach hurt like no other, and the rest of me was completely empty. No more emotions. What made me cry worse was the fact that I was dumb enough to let her have so much power over me. Rumor was stupid. What did she know anyway? Outside of that Wicken had apparently rescued Talia, but beyond that she couldn't be that in-the-know. Not in the Pit. She no longer had all of her tools to spy on everyone.

A soft knock on the bedroom door, startled me out of bed. I sat up and made sure I was presentable. "It's safe."

"Just checking," Nathan said. "I know Timber just barges in, and all, but I can't say I'm quite so bold."

"What's up?" I asked, getting straight to the point. Making small talk was not my idea of a good time.

Nathan shrugged. "I was told to come back and check on you. Timber just got back from his chat with Paul, and he wanted to make sure you were okay. I wasn't sure if you were awake, or sleeping, or still being...depressed."

"Clearly, I'm awake." I pushed my way past him. Being depressed? The way he said that made it seem like he didn't think I was allowed to be sad. My trauma was different than what he and Timber were going through, but that didn't make it less significant. If he were in my shoes, he'd be just as overwhelmed with sadness and fear.

He kept pace with me. "Clearly, yes, you're awake. Just wanted to be courteous. Sorry."

Now he was giving me the wounded animal act? Really? I glanced over at him. "I appreciate it. We've kind of got some rules established. No changing out in the open. No unmentionable things happen in the bedroom, period. So you don't need to feel bad about just walking in if you need to."

"I'll remember that for the future," he said.

"Good, because if we're all going to be staying here, we should probably be on the same page."

"So you're planning on staying for a while? I'd have thought you'd go to live with your parents or something."

I shook my head. "Having my freedom is nice."

"They're not trying to wrangle you in? I'm surprised your dad hasn't locked you up yet since you're pregnant and all."

"He doesn't know yet. Once he does, he probably will. Or he'll pick a fight with my mom. The usual." I was seriously dreading that conversation with Dad. It would be easier if Wicken was around as well. Granted, my dad might try to murder him, but at least it wouldn't look like he'd ditched me.

Nathan whistled quietly. "Gotcha, well, don't worry. I'll be sure to abide by the rules of the house. Might have to figure out a new sleeping arrangement, though. I'm not digging the couch much."

"I'm sure they'll shove you onto some girl soon enough," I mumbled. "They like to do that."

"So I hear." He ran his fingers over his lips. "I'm curious as to what they're going to try to bring my way. And a job. Timber says everyone works, but it might not always be the kind of thing you want to do. I just about crapped a brick when he told he me he was doing childcare. That's so not him."

"It was always a temporary position. Paul knew Timber would be his apprentice from the beginning."

"And that one doesn't surprise me. He'd make a good politician."

"He's too honest," I said. "Too good."

He laughed. "He's got a nasty side to him too, but overall, you're right. But the guy has drive and vision, and I feel sorry for anyone who gets in the way of that."

Good point, I'd noticed that trait as well. We found Lara and Timber in the living room looking at some books. Lara was curled into his chest, and he was quietly reading to her. The scene was so tender, and Timber's sadness that he tried to hide so well was much more apparent in the way he held her. Like he didn't want to let her go.