Chapter 6: Describing Abandoned Places

As a young adult interested in writing horror fiction, one of the important skills that you need to master is the art of describing abandoned places and creating a sense of fear and unease in your readers' minds. Abandoned places hold a certain allure and mystery, especially when portrayed through the lens of horror fiction. These desolate and forgotten locations often become the perfect setting for creepy and terrifying stories. In this guide, we will explore the key elements of describing abandoned places and crafting eerie scenes that will keep your readers on the edge of their seats.

Describing Abandoned Places

When describing abandoned places, it's important to remember that the setting itself can be a character in your story. It sets the tone and atmosphere for the entire narrative, and when done correctly, can be just as menacing as any physical antagonist. As a writer, your goal is to transport your readers into the abandoned location, making them feel like they are right there with your characters, experiencing the same feelings of dread and unease.

1. Setting the Scene: The first step in describing abandoned places is to set the scene for your readers. Paint a vivid picture of the environment by using sensory details such as sight, sound, smell, and touch. Describe the location's physical appearance, including its size, shape, and any notable features. Use strong and evocative language to create a clear image in your readers' minds.

Example:

"The abandoned mansion stood tall, its once grand façade now marred by years of neglect. The paint was peeling, revealing the decaying wood underneath. The windows were shattered, and the doors hung loosely on their hinges. A thick layer of dust coated everything, and the musty smell of mold and mildew filled the air."

2. Setting the Mood: Once you have set the scene, it's time to establish the mood of the abandoned place. The mood will dictate how your readers will feel while reading your story. Is it a place of gloom and doom, or does it have a more sinister feel? Is it filled with an air of mystery, or is it just plain creepy? Use descriptive language to create a sense of foreboding and unease.

Example:

"As I stepped inside the abandoned asylum, a chill ran down my spine. The echoes of my footsteps seemed to be magnified in the emptiness, making me feel like I was being watched. The peeling wallpaper and broken furniture only added to the eerie atmosphere, and the silence was deafening."

3. Appeals to the Senses: When writing about abandoned places, it's essential to appeal to your readers' senses to fully immerse them in the setting. Use sensory details to describe the sights, sounds, smells, and even tastes of the location. This will help your readers feel like they are experiencing the abandoned place firsthand.

Example:

"The abandoned theme park was a cacophony of sights and sounds. The once colorful attractions now stood rusted and decrepit, with the eerie creaking of metal adding to the unsettling ambiance. The smell of old cotton candy mixed with the musty odor of decaying wood filled my nostrils, and my feet stuck to the sticky remnants of spilled soda on the ground."

4. Pay Attention to Detail: When describing abandoned places, it's important to pay attention to even the smallest details. These seemingly insignificant details can add layers of depth to your writing and make the setting feel more realistic. Pay attention to the time period the location was abandoned, the weather, and any signs of life (or death) that may still linger.

Example:

"As I explored the abandoned hospital, I noticed the faded photographs and old medical equipment left behind in the examination rooms. The hospital beds were rusted, and the bed sheets stained with dried blood, evidence of the horrors that once took place here. The calendars on the wall were still turned to the year 1955, frozen in time as if the world outside had ceased to exist."