American Boy

As the school bell rang, signaling the end of the day, I spotted Mum waiting for me just outside the gates. With a relieved sigh, I made my way to her, eager to escape the hustle and bustle of the school corridors. Once home, I sank into the couch and indulged in some movie time, opting for my all-time favorite, "Mean Girls." There was something oddly relatable about Cady's journey navigating a new school, especially now that I found myself in a similar situation on the other side of the world.

Scrolling through my phone, I noticed several Snapchat notifications, most of them from boys who piqued my interest, but none from Andy, the one I truly hoped to hear from.Just then, a familiar ding interrupted my thoughts. It wasn't Andy, but rather Kym.

"Hey girl," her message read.

"Heyy," I replied. Kym wasted no time in inviting me to join her and a group of friends for a weekend shopping trip at the mall. Excitedly, I accepted, making a mental note to check with Mum first.

"Ok, coolsies," Kym replied.

"MUM, CAN I GO SHOPPING WITH SOME KIDS FROM SCHOOL?" I yelled from the living room.

"YES, AND DINNER'S ALMOST READY. COMING SOON," she hollered back. With Mum's approval secured, I quickly informed Kym of the good news.

"Omg, is that Australian for 'mom'?" Kym teased.

"Bahahaha, yes," I confirmed, laughing at the exchange.

"Anyways, I gotta go. Love u byeee," Kym typed before signing off.

"Ok, byeeee," I replied, feeling a sense of excitement for the upcoming weekend plans.

Later that evening, as I sat down for dinner with my parents, Dad couldn't help but inquire about my first day at school.

"Hey sweets, how was your first day?" he asked.

"It was fun, yeah,"

"Give me more than that. Did you make any new friends?" he pressed.

"Yeah, I made some friends. They want me to hang out with them on the weekend," I admitted, a hint of excitement creeping into my voice.

"That's good," Dad nodded approvingly.

"Yeah, it should be fun, I hope. The girls are really intimidating, though," I confessed.

"Hahaha, you'll be fine," Mum reassured me with a smile.

"Have you thought about getting a job so you can pay for all this?" Dad interjected, ever the practical one.

"Yeah, when I go to the shopping center, I'll scout out some places," I replied, considering the idea.

"What areas do you want to work in?" Dad inquired further.

"Clothing stores pay good money, so yeah," I replied

"Okay, well, that will be good," Dad nodded in agreement.