Chapter 2

The morning sun rose over the soft clouds, the sky was a bright blue. Something the two men haven't seen in a while.

Jay was the first to wake up of the two, he stumbled out of bed and splashed his face with water in the bathroom, trying to wake himself up. He stretched and looked at himself in the mirror, his eyebags slowly getting more and more deep. Making him look like a fresh corpse, he hasn't been able to sleep properly since this whole situation, he didn't have the guts to tell Tim he was getting worse. The hallucinations and coughing fits were getting too much to handle and too big to hide. The common nosebleeds he'd get and would just blame untrue facts

He walked out of the dark bathroom to see the room shredded in the sunlight that was peaking through the stained curtains. Tim was laying in his bed, his arm over his eyes and trying to get more sleep, Jay grinned as he ripped the curtains apart, leaving the bright morning sun to fill up the room. Jay threw Tim's cigarette packet at him "Get up sleepyhead we need to go to that abandoned building."

Tim groaned and sat up, stuffing the cigarettes into his pocket and leaning over to grab some body spray from his bag, even talking about that abandoned building made Tim sick to his stomach. Tim didn't have much memory of what happened in the past with Alex though he found the tape where he was across the head in the building. Also because he knows that Jay's seen his medical papers and should be able to figure out that the abandoned building is Tim's old mental hospital.

Tim stretched and groaned "yeah yeah, I know" he said, his eyes squinting from the harsh sunlight. He sat up slowly and stumbled into the bathroom, holding the wall. He had to lean on things at times due to the time when Alex crushed his leg, it never recovered fully after that. Tim did the same as the other male, splashing his face with water and making sure he looks presentable. He walked out the room, his eyes finally adjusting to the harsh sunlight.

"It's finally sunny for once" Jay said with a small smile, "it's been a while since it's been so nice" he said again, looking out the window seeing the wooded area ahead. Tim let out another tired yawn and tossed Jay his backpack filled with tapes, a med kit and Tim's backup medication, his current pills in his back pocket.

The two men exit the motel and head to Tim's car in the parking lot, both getting in and driving towards their destination. Jay was looking out the window, keeping his camera on the dashboard in front of him recording the road ahead. The two men let the silence loom over them, for a while now they've both had feelings for each other but both thought it was an awkward time to bring it up during the situation they're in. Jay tapped his fingers against the dashboard whilst Tim was smoking a cigarette while driving

"y'know you should probably start thinking about quitting, you have fucked up lungs already" Jay said, breaking the silence. Tim took a drag of the cigarette and blew the smoke out the window "hm, no. I'm still alive so I have no reason to quit, my lung problems aren't because of them" he replied as he took another drag, Jay was about to say something until Tim spoke again "You can blame Alex for this, I had to smoke for that stupid part" Just hearing that name sent shivers down Jay's spine, he feared Alex. Mainly because he didn't want to end up like him and kill people, especially Tim. He'd never forgive himself if he did. A small smile appeared on his face just thinking about him and Tim together after all this ended, that's all he wanted though recently that dream seemed further and further away, Jay was snapped out of that fantasy when the car came to a sudden stop.

"Are we here already?" He asked Tim, looking over at him once more. Tim nodded and put out his cigarette in one of the cup holders. "Yeah, though there's a bit of a walk" he told Jay before getting out of the car, Jay quickly grabbed his camera and walked down the hiking trail with Tim, eventually they diverted from the path to make their way to the abandoned building. Tim started talking to distract himself from the horrible memories of the place. "so, have you ever had a boyfriend before?" he asked Jay, awaiting his answer easily. Jay was a little confused by the question, Tim's often serious when it comes to times like these and now he's asking if Jay had a boyfriend before? It took him a couple seconds to answer but he eventually answered "A few, they never really lasted though since it was often 'experimental'" Tim nodded and continued to make conversation "I had a girlfriend before, but I didn't really like her" Jay nodded "ah I see" Jay mumbled, looking the opposite way, that statement made Jay assume Tim was straight.

Tim noticed his sudden mood change and tried to turn it around, "well uh, I wouldn't mind dating a man, I just never had the opportunity too" Jay turned his head to him, a little wider than normal "really?" Jay asked, surprised by his statement. Tim nodded and Jay looked away, the conversation ending. Tim wasn't an idiot he knew Jay liked him, he dropped hints all the time though he still thought now wouldn't be the right time. They both were faced with the old abandoned building, the building was tall. at least 3 stories high. Wildlife and vines covered the building, taking it over, graffiti also covered some places, though Tim knew most graffiti would be on the inside. The two men walked in, their shoes crushing the debris underneath them, the place was a wreck. Jay pointed his camera everywhere he could, gathering as much information as possible. "I'm going to look upstairs," said Jay, leaving Tim on his own on the ground floor. The only sounds around him were the birds flying through the holes in the walls and the breeze passing throughout. Tim wandered around the empty halls of the building looking for clues, looking for someone or something that'll give him the answer to all this. He eventually found nothing down there and decided to head upstairs to where Jay said he'd be.

He walked up the old wrecked staircase to see Jay standing there, lifelessly. "Jay?" Tim said, his voice echoing through the building. Jay slowly turned to face him, a mauled bluejay in his hands. "It wouldn't shut up" he told Tim, his hands trembling. Tim slowly walked over to him, gently taking the dead bird from his hands and tossing it into the debris underneath them. "Hey hey it's okay, tell me what happened" he asked Jay, trying to figure out what happened.

"It had no face" Jay mumbled, looking blankly at the floor "I had to kill it. It had no face Tim" he said again, his voice almost in a whisper as he looked at Tim. Tim felt a pit in his stomach, he's known that Jay sees the same creature as him, but now he's starting to hallucinate and get violent? All Tim could feel was a cloud of guilt over him, Jays like this because of him.

Tim slowly held both his hands, he could feel Jay shake "it'll be okay I promise you'll be fine" he reassured Jay. He slowly guided Jay downstairs and outside, leaving the dead bird to rot and decompose alone. Tim had an uneasy pit in his stomach, first it was Alex with the more violent tendencies and now it was Jay, he decided to let it slide and pass it as a once off thing. He held Jay's hand all the way through the hiking trail and back to the carpark, "hey Jay?" Tim spoke softly, Jay's eyes looked into the other mans, previously looking at the floor before "I know this doesn't seem like the right time...or place but I uh" Tim paused "like you" Tim felt awkward saying this, it was so sudden and out of the blue. His awkwardness melted away when he saw a bit of life in Jay's eyes again, "well that cheered him up" Tim thought to himself. "you like me?" Jay mumbled, a small smile creeping on his face "like more than a friend?" Tim smiled and nodded "of course more than a friend what else would I mean" Jay pulled in for a tight hug, the two men didn't need any more than that, knowing they had each other was all that mattered to them now.

The moment was bittersweet, the men went back to the shady motel together. The rain started to come down as they drove there, they had a long day ahead of them tomorrow.