Chapter 3

I scramble awkwardly to my feet, leaving the box of candy canes where it sits, and hurriedly regain enough of my composure that I can shoot my ex-husband the sort of withering glance our months-long separation has allowed me to perfect.

"What do you want?"

Neil's smile falters but he forces it back into place, quirking one eyebrow roguishly at me.

"I want to see Santa?"

"Well, if you find him, tell him he's late." I reach into the candy cane box, pull out two handfuls, and push past Neil into the outer area of the grotto where I can see my two fellow elves. Zany Angelnose and Nutella Jollysocks are both now wearing their name-tags and I decide Zany and Nutella are far easier names to remember than...whatever they actually were. They are both cooing over Fred Astaire, who is enduring rather than enjoying the attention. Sadly, his handsome handler is nowhere to be found. "Here you go!" I say to the girls, passing them each a couple of candy canes. "For when the kids arrive."

"Those kids? The ones who are already here waiting for us to let them in to see Santa?"

I look to where Zany is pointing and my eyes widen. Sometime in the last five minutes the empty street filled up with fidgety children wondering out loud when we're going to change the sign from Santa is busy in his workshop, come back soon! to Santa is so happy to see you!

"What time is it?" I ask, thrusting the rest of the candy canes into Nutella's arms and leaning back into the little room I've just left, in case Bill has somehow magically found his way into his seat. I practically collide with Neil, who has taken it into his head to follow me and I decide to kill two birds with one stone. "I'll go find Santa," I tell the girls, who nod vaguely at me and turn back to pet the reindeer. Taking Neil by the arm, I haul him outside after me, my eyes scanning the crowd for a hint of Bill's broad, red-coated frame.

"So, Merry..."

Again I can hear the smirk in my ex's voice and I try to ignore it.

"Nice outfit. This is a whole new career for you, huh?"

"It's a job," I say, circling the outside of the Hot Chocolate Hut and finding all sorts of people but not the one man I'm looking for. "I've got to pay all those bills you left me somehow."

"Actually, that's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about." Neil lays his hand on my shoulder and I flinch.

"I don't have time right now," I tell him, continuing my search until my eyes fix on a bright red hat with a bobble on the end. "Fantastic! At last. Bill! I mean, Santa!" I call, waving at the figure who turns at the sound of my voice. I frown. It's definitely Santa, but this man is a bit taller than Bill. He's slimmer, too, and I'm pretty sure that beard he's wearing is fake.

"Can I help you, young lady?" The not-Bill Santa pulls his beard down to his chin and I recognize George Montgomery, another of Silver Brook's retired older gentlemen. Why is he dressed as Santa? No, I don't want to know. I shake my head, clearing the confusion in my head to bring my focus back to my task.

"I'm looking for Bill. He's supposed to be our Santa today, only -"

"He's gone AWOL?" George's eyes gleam with possibility. "Yes, well, I did warn Margaret that might happen. Man of the Year or not, he's hardly the most reliable man you might have hired." He lets go of his beard and it snaps back into place almost painfully. "If you need a stand-in..."

"We're good, thanks." I don't think I have the mental bandwidth to cope with a pair of dueling Santas today. I vaguely remember Maggie telling me there was another candidate for the gig this year but that she'd gone with Bill as he'd been her Santa for going on ten years now and always did a great job. It'd be nice if he was around here to do a great job right now!

"Merry."

Neil's still following me and with a groan of frustration, I turn around to glare at him.

"What part of I don't have time right now don't you get? I'm busy." I gesture to my outfit. "Do you think I'd be out here dressed like this if I didn't have to be? And if I don't find Santa - the one I'm looking for, I mean - there are going to be a lot of disappointed kids out there. Not to mention a drop in donations to the children's hospital, and that's not happening this year. Not on my watch." I straighten my name badge like it's a sheriff's star and stomp off, ignoring the jaunty jingle of the bells on my shoes that somewhat undermines the message I'm trying to convey.

"Fine!" Neil shouts after me. "Well, come find me when you think you can squeeze me into your busy schedule!"

I bite down hard on my lower lip, fighting the urge to turn around and kick our argument into an all-out row. What gives him the right to follow me around today? Can't he see I'm busy? He's the one that got me into this mess when he started fooling around with that idiotic Shelly woman, and - and - Striding through the milling crowds helps me to work through some of my frustration and I finally catch sight of Bill in his Santa suit, his head bent close to a man I don't recognize. Whatever they're talking about seems kind of intense and for a moment I wonder whether I should disturb him, but then I think of the kids and soldier on. I needn't have worried. Bill spots me before I even get close and he straightens, saying a hasty goodbye to his friend and turning towards me with a grin.

"Meredith! Or, I'm sorry, it's Icey Sprinklecakes today, isn't it?" He winks at me. "Something the matter?"

"Your public awaits!" I tell him, pointing towards the long queue of children that is now snaking down the street.

"Goodness!" Bill glances at his watch. "Yes, I see it's time we opened up the grotto." He comes over all chivalrous and offers me his arm. After a moment's hesitation I take it, but to my surprise, he doesn't walk back around the hut with me but steps straight up to the back of the makeshift structure, pushing open a door I've never noticed before that ushers us straight into the grotto. He makes his way to his chair, fumbling around for his hat and making himself comfortable before shooing me out into the entryway. "That's right, Icey! Send in the first of the boys and girls and I'll start checking them off my list! Ho, ho, ho!"

***

A/N - I hope you are enjoying this fun little Christmas mystery! I will be updating chapters regularly here but if you want to read the whole thing in its entirety for free it is available on my Ream page (see link on my profile page) - sign up as a follower (for free) to keep reading and find out about all my other projects :)