Take 25 - Lance Asks for A Second Chance

"Just what the fuck is that supposed to mean? Dude, I've got better timing than anybody on the Disney Channel! And my physical timing – well, you've been on the receiving end of that, so..."

I could sense the smirk behind that innuendo and stopped him cold. "Yeah, and you've been on the receiving end of Goofy, Mickey, Pluto and half of Treasure Island Media's stable of porn stars. So, tell me - why were you trying to steal James? Is mass transit not good enough? The Extreme Lancers wouldn't lend you a car? Or were you looking to sell it?"

"Go ahead. Pick on me. I'm used to it. My cast mates do it, my parents do it, my college profs do it. Do you know what it's like, when guys and chicks see you as just a child star? I'm chaperoned everywhere. These movies get me noticed. They get me dates."

"It ain't been a walk in the park lookin' after your sorry ass, you piece of Mouse crap!" yelled Manny. He and Micky high-fived.

In the back of the SUV, Nina and Scarlet looked at each other and broke forth in a symphony of "Quack! Quack! Quaaaaack!" mixed with uncontrollable giggling and raunchy moans.

"Very funny!!! I figured, you know, shit – lil' Petey is stinkin' rich, they'll just buy him another freaky AI car. No problem. Say, what's up with James? Did you poison him against me too, like you've poisoned Trina against me? She wasn't talkin' to me at all."

"Problems with your side project? The one Joy knew nothing about?" I said, keeping as cool as I could manage. The conversation with Joy had been a real eye-opener.

"Is that the game she's playing? It's all right, I've got international premieres lined up."

"Keep telling yourself that." Lance kept playing himself as the victim. Maybe he was, once upon a time. But he'd gone way beyond making up for lost time. He'd done more than lie, cheat and steal – he'd hurt people, and didn't care. He'd hurt my friends. "I can't tell when you're lying or being sincere, and you're trying to take advantage of that right now. But trying to steal James...that's the last straw."

"Oh, come on, Pete! You're the smartest guy I've ever met. Don't forget, you risked your life to save me. Just like I did to save you."

"Bullshit! It was staged, just like everything else. I jumped off a goddamn building. So did Derek! You've done nothing for me..."

"...oh, sure! Now who's lying? I hope he didn't mind getting sloppy seconds. I'm the one who broke your cherry butt, kid. It was sweet, and I do like it...like you, I mean. Look, we got off on the wrong foot. We clicked; you can't deny that. I know you're jealous of my talents, but hey, you either got it or you don't, right? We could create a mean escort service, or specialty adult video company, or..."

"No. As you yelled in your pot-induced stupor at Yosemite, we're done!" Then I added, "And by the way, we are going to win. You won't see it coming, and you've only got yourself to blame. In fact, I know some guys in prison who'd really like to give you a warm, wet welcome." I pressed that red phone icon, hard.

As soon as I put my cell down, the SUV erupted in an explosion of applause. Everyone was clapping, and Derek punched me in the shoulder. Lightly, of course.

"Coming up on the exit for the Museum, Mr. Fisk. Any plans, or would you like our input?"

"Both of you guys are now honorary Team Pete members. I don't get to call you Farhad and Tomas if you don't also get to call me Pete. I want everyone's input. As my mother said, this is way over my head. First thing is, we need to find out where Mr. Donlon is, and who's got him. Is there a way we can pit the Russians and the Chinese against each other? That could give Donlon time to get away, or maybe put some people out of commission." I didn't want to say 'get wounded or killed' but they all seemed to understand.