Twenty Five

February 2nd

I wipe my hands on my middle, inhaling sharply as I glide into the middle of the ice. Chris and Coach stand by the boards, focused look on Coach's face, a nervous one on Chris. He plays with his earring, chewing on his bottom lip. I don't dwell on him or Coach for too long, turning my face to the ice, banding my arms over my head.

I inhale, and the silence starts, the only thing I can hear is my quick heartbeat, pounding through every inch of my body. The music starts and I push off, twirling into my first trick. This is easily my hardest routine, both because of how demanding it was of not a single mistake, but also because it took so long for me to get the art piece down.

I get a hold of my blade, pulling my boot over my head. My nerves are gone, the heartbeat in my fingertips is gone, and any and all thoughts surrounding anything but the ice in front of me are gone. I was so nervous leading into this, especially when Chris was chatting to me about it before the comp began. His brothers were super friendly and sit somewhere in the stands, watching my piece.

I've followed the song up until this moment, this is when I do it, this is when I hit my quad lutz and guarantee myself a place on the podium. I inhale as I skate backwards, building up my momentum. There was no going back now, I either land the trick, or I don't. I push myself into the air and cross my arms, spinning.

First rotation.

Second rotation.

Third.

Fourth.

My stomach twists as the side of my blade hits the ice, giving me not enough of a surface to land. It skids out from under me, and I fall, a shooting pain running up my side. I lay on the ice, resting my forehead on my forearms, eyes wide open. I put my hands down and move to lift myself up, but can't, I'm not strong enough to bite through the searing pain.

My vision blurs as I shake, staying on all fours, waiting to be rescued. I watch as two blurry figures hurry out onto the ice, coming closer to me. I'm hoisted up, sobbing as the movement sends an arch of pain over my body.

With my arms sound over both of their shoulders, I merely stand there, letting them pull me across the ice. It feels nice to not have to push my feet to actually get somewhere on my feet. I clear my throat, sniffling as I'm helped into the dressing room.

I sit on one of the benches, wiping my eyes. Chris and Coach kneel in front of me, untying my laces for me. Coach walks away as Chris pulls my skates off before returning with two ice packs. I push my breath through my teeth as he sets them on my hip and shoulder, guiding my hands to keep them there.

I sigh, "this is so embarrassing."

"You gave yourself too much momentum and rushed the turn, that's why you fell," Coach says.

Chris stands, crossing his arms, "are you seriously giving her tips on how to better her trick right now?"

"It's her fault she fell, if she had done it properly and hadn't rushed it, she'd just have finished preforming." Coach replies, crossing his arms just as Chris has.

"Dude, she doesn't need this right now. Do you not care that she could've broke something?" He raises an eyebrow.

Coach's lips part and his eyebrows draw together. "Of course I care!" He snaps before storming out of the room.

I swallow, "he does care." Chris turns to me, raising an eyebrow. "It's how he shows he cares." He settles down next to me with a sigh. I smile slightly, "thanks for helping me."

"Well, you couldn't stand, so," he waves a hand.

I nod, "yeah, it hurt like a mother fucker. Still does."

"I didn't even expect it, it looked so good. Your coach did though, looking back," Chris says. "When you first were like getting up he called it, 'she's gonna fall'." Chris says, lowering his voice.

I laugh, "yeah, he always knows."

"It looked like it hurt too," Chris adds.

"This bruise is going to be awful," I reply.

He snorts, "oh yeah."

I lean my head against his shoulder, "thanks for coming to watch though, even though it turned out to be not so great."

"Of course," he replies. We sit there quietly for a bit, just us and the muffled music coming from the next performance. That is until Chris's phone buzzes and he bursts out laughing. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry I should not be laughing."

"What?" I sit up straight.

"I totally forgot I asked Nick and Matt to film your thing for you," he says through hushed laughter.

My eyes widen, "you're lying. You're lying!"

"I'm not!" He laughs, "look."

He holds his phone out to me, and I skip forwards, stopping just before my fall. Coach was right, my push off wasn't good, and my turns were rushed. I chew on my bottom lip, wincing as I watch my fall. A voice from behind the camera curses, the other inhales sharply. I watch Coach and Chris push onto the ice, a "oh, saviour Chris" coming from behind the phone. I'm pulled up and helped off the ice and the video ends there.

I snort, "saviour Chris is crazy." I hand him back his phone, smiling as I pull myself up, grimacing. "Ugh, I just want to go home."

"Let me drive you. not me but my brother." Chris offers, putting his phone in his pocket.

Coach had driven me here and knowing him he'd stay until the end despite my lack of a good performance. I smile, "sure."

Okok I tried to make this one longer

I hope y'all liked

Get some food and some water

Muah muah

-EVIEREENIE