Twenty Six

January 24th

I sit in the backseat, ice pack pressed to my hips, the two boys Chris came with sitting up front. Chris unbuckles his seatbelt and shifts to dig around the trunk as I slip my phone out of my pocket and snap a picture for Moira. He sits straight in his seat, handing me a can, cracking his own open. I stare at the orange Kombucha can, flicking my eyes to Chris, smiling slightly.

I crack it open, "thanks." I beam.

"Saying I couldn't buy you a cupcake or something I went with the next best thing," he explains.

"Well, I appreciate it, this was very sweet of you."

"You deserve it," he smiles. I raise an eyebrow and he a hand, "please, you did great even though you fell."

"Riiiight, okay sure," I reply sarcastically.

"Shut up you know you did," he points a finger at me.

"Can you two canoodling in my backseat," Matt snaps from behind the wheel. "Jesus, you'd think this was a middle school conversation."

"He's just he's single," Chris whispers.

Matt rolls his eyes, "fuck you."

Nick snorts from the front seat, "let them live Matt."

"Thanks for the ride," I say, trying to pull the conversation in a different direction.

"For sure," Matt nods.

"Your fall looked pretty bad, it's the least we could do," Nick adds. "Speaking of, how are you feeling?"

I shrug, "I've been better. It's not like I haven't fallen before, this one just happened to fuck me over. But yes, I'm fine, thank you."

"The bruise is going to be gnarly," Matt says, looking at me through the rear view mirror.

I nod, "yeah, it's not going to be pretty." I sigh, "but whatever." I smile slightly, shrugging.

Matt slows the van, stopping outside my place. I unclip my seatbelt, wrapping my fingers around the handle of my bag, my fingers grazing Chris's. I turn to him, eyebrows raised. He smiles, "I got it."

I snort, "and they say chivalry is dead." I push the door open, "I won't stop you." I poke my head back in, "thanks for the ride!"

"Anytime," Matt nods.

"Feel better," Nick adds.

Thanks!" I slam to door shut, following Chris into the building and then into the elevator.

The doors are tossed back open as a pair of girls jump in at the last second, one of them looks about fifteen, the other five, and yet they look identical. The elder of the sisters exhales, leaning in front of Chris to push the button for her floor. When she pulls back and gives us a once over her mouth drops open.

She gasps, "oh my god, you're Chris Sturniolo!" She glances over to me, "and...Wait, are you his girlfriend? Oh my god, wow."

"Um—"

"It's okay, I won't tell," she reassures, cutting me off. "I'm not one of those 'how dare you have a life' type of fan." She waves a hand, smiling. "Could I get a picture though?" She tilts her head holding up her phone.

Chris nods, "sure."

While they interact, the younger sister stares at me, "what happened to you?" She asks.

"I fell while I was figure skating," I reply.

"What's that?"

"It's kind of like dancing on the ice," I explain.

"Are you okay?" She asks.

"I will be," I smile.

The doors slide open, and the older sister catches her little sister's hand. "Come on Emmy," she smiles, throwing a wave over her shoulder, "thank you! Nice meeting you!" And they're gone.

"Well that was quick," I grin at him. The doors open and I step out, "my keys are in the side pocket of my bag." Chris fishes them out for me, unlocking the door. I step in, kicking off my shoes, "would people seriously hate on you if you had a girlfriend?"

"Not all of them, but some, yes." He shuts the door, pulling his shoes off and setting my bag down.

I shake my head, "that's so weird."

"Tell me about it," he sighs.

I scratch my cheek, "I'm gonna hop in the shower to get the rest of this makeup off and the gel out of my hair. If you have to go, I get it, but if you wanna stay here you can." I smile, cheeks warm. "Ill probably just make something to eat or whatever." I turn and pop into the bathroom, catching my bottom lip with my teeth, hoping Chris decided to stay.

Thanks for reading my pookies

Love ya! 

Take care of yourselves!

-EVIEREENIE