Chapter Four

"Come on. Wake up, princess. It's eight in the morning." Lucy's voice blares right into my skull. I open my eyes but immediately close them again. Her voice is oddly too loud for someone who has just woken up.

I drag my hand over my face. God, I need more sleep. I reach for my phone and look at the time.

Wait! Holy crap! I need to go home and get ready. I scramble to my feet, take care of the makeshift bed Gail had given me the night before, and grab my stuff.

"Where are you going?" Lucy asks, sipping her coffee.

"I'll see you later," I hastily say as I bid her parents goodbye before leaving.

Walking home takes me some time, but it's for free. Once I arrive, it's as if my body begs me for a refreshing shower. The feeling of warm water washing the soap off my skin is relaxing. I don't have the luxury of warm water as much, especially during winters, let alone expensive soaps and skincare.

By the time I find a lovely outfit—at least try to find one—it's almost nine-thirty.

I don't even know why I spend time choosing an outfit. It's not like I'm going on a date or will continue seeing him. I will just have coffee with him to apologize for ruining his suit.

I picked a pink T-shirt that might have looked cute for a teenager but certainly not for a twenty-one-year-old woman. Nevertheless, it is one of the few clothes left after selling almost everything before moving out of the house for an unknown destination. It has more signs of usage than the others to be sold, but I kept it. I let down my hair, brushing it with my fingers as I dry it.

When I arrive at my favorite coffee shop—owned by a good friend of my mother—Tyler is already there. I comb my hair with my fingers, straighten my back, and walk toward him. His back is to me, so I have time to observe his build. He has broad shoulders, which causes his tightly fit long-sleeved gray shirt to frame his body. Even though he's not wearing the suit, he still stands out from the rest of the people inside the shop.

"Hi. Sorry for being late." I step into his view and take the chair in front of him.

Surprised at my sudden appearance, he smiles and sits upright in his chair.

"I almost thought you were not going to show up." He raises an eyebrow with a grin on his face.

"Yeah. Sorry about that. I overslept this morning." I chuckle shyly.

"It's alright." He smiles.

"So, what would you like?" I ask as I put my worn-out bag next to my feet before he can see.

"I've already ordered."

"Well, maybe I can do something extra about that," I say. I stand up and make my way to the counter.

Molly, the café owner, is working alongside her employees, preparing the orders. She raises her head and sees me. Dropping the sandwich she is preparing, she asks someone to take over before washing her hands and walking out of the kitchen.

"Hi, Molly. Hi, everyone," I say.

"Oh, my dear Elena. How have you been, my child?" She hugs me, swaying me from side to side. In her mid-fifties, Molly has the most beautiful gray hair that compliments her bronze skin.

"I'm fine, Molly. Thank you for the flowers you bought for my mother the other day. She really liked them." I hold her hands tight.

"Oh, that's nothing. I enjoy visiting her. Do let me know when she's getting discharged, so I can visit her." She turns briefly to the kitchen to ensure everything goes smoothly before turning back to me.