Chapter Nine

At six-thirty Wednesday morning, I am wide awake and ready to kick the day. There is a strange hope building in me. Perhaps with this new income, I will finally be able to afford Mom's medical bills. After a refreshing shower, I choose the same pencil skirt and white blouse that I wore to the interview, not knowing the appropriate dress code. Hopefully, they will give me a uniform so that I wouldn't be spending money on clothes.

Waiting at the bus stop, I lean against the bus stop pole, dreamily thinking of the other night. I find myself touching my lips and rewinding the way Tyler kissed me. It's as if he's still kissing me. I grin to myself, hiding my face behind a veil of my hair cascading down over my shoulders.

There is no denying how he makes me feel. The way he looks at me quickens my heart. No man has ever made me feel like that. Then again, I've never met a lot of people.

But this cloud of questions lurking behind my mind is too big to deny.

Why is he interested in me? How could he afford VIP access to an exclusive club? He's supposed to be an assistant but can afford a luxurious lifestyle, including fawning women. Not to mention his access to a deluxe room in the hotel and the expensive suits. He must come from a wealthy family.

It's like we are two opposite sides of a magnet. Perhaps that's what attracts us to each other.

By the time I arrive at the café, anxiety for my first day has pushed away any other thoughts. Everything is on a loose thread, all leading to this job and the income it could bring.

I enter the café, not too shocked to discover a line of businesspeople waiting to get their coffee before heading to work. There is a low buzz of conversation among the noises of coffee grinders and brewers. Two baristas are actively preparing the orders one after another.

I examine the place closer this time, knowing this will be my place of work for the next couple of months until I find a better job. The tables are dark wood, contrasting the flooring covered with light brown wood. There are at least fifteen tables set inside and five more outside the café. I approach the first waiter I see, who places a large breakfast tray before the customers.

"Hi," I say awkwardly after clearing my throat. The black-haired man, who also has dark skin, turns toward me with a smile.

"Hello, ma'am, welcome. Sorry, our hostess is not available to help you." He eyes the front door. "How many people?"

"Oh, no. I'm the new waitress," I blurt out immediately. His mouth forms an 'O' before he nods.

"Well, then. Hi, I'm Dan." He extends his hand, and I shake it. Then he checks his watch.

"Hi, I'm Elena."

"You are a bit early. Anyways, welcome." He walks back to the counter to grab the next order while talking. "We are in a morning rush, which usually lasts until ten. The locker room is at the end of the corridor. Our hostess was supposed to be here by now to get you started, but she gets away with too many things. Don't worry. I can help you."

"Thanks. Be right back." I turn on my heels and head toward the locker room when Dan's voice stops me.

"Watch out for the boss. The last one before you ran out of the place, screaming."

I look at Dan with wide eyes. What did he just say? I knew the manager had some problems, but this is alarming. I know I made a mistake deciding to work here, but I need the money.

Dan nervously adjusts his watch on his wrist, drops his head, and walks away.

In the locker room, I find a uniform lying on the bench. The room is much smaller than Golden Services' break room. There are only four chairs and a small TV. I open the fridge to put my lunch but find it packed already with multiple plastic bags, old takeout food, and half-empty sodas.