An Eye For An Eye

Marie was more familiar with her closet doors than her mother's eyes, the crack in the frame would stare her down, somehow following a new path each one slightly longer than the last. What Marie didn't know was that this would be the last time she saw that closet, the last she would see of anything. Marie had an intraocular melanoma, an eye cancer that progressed due to the negligence of her parents and was only made worse by the torment she endured in that hell.

"What are you deaf? I said the left, good for nothing brat..." The back of his hand was the last she saw before that tragic day. After bursting the melanoma in Marie's now blood filled eye, he grabbed her by the neck and threw her into the puddle of blood now leaking from her wound. "Making a fucking mess, on your mothers brand new carpeting? Fucking whore." A thud. A whimper, then silence.

Marie's limp body would soon turn cold, in her mother's eyes all she could do was hate her daughter for getting in the way. As they called for the body and the soul to reconnect Marie would allow her soul to roam freely with the ferryman, asking him all kinds of questions. about himself, his story, where they were going and who would be there, his favorite animal. She never did find out but he gave his word he would answer it for her soon.

In the distance there was a cry, a plea for forgiveness, a young man but not one like she had heard, this wasn't her fathers discerning cold tone, this was someone with heart, someone so close yet so far. What her parents failed to inform her was that Marie had an older brother, someone excited to meet her and who, if given the chance, could've saved her in time. Daniel left to join the army following the 9/11 attacks, shortly after Marie was born so they never got to meet formally. "C'mon marmar, c'mon baby I need you to breathe just once do it do it for me babygirl don't do this to me..." He cradled her cold lifeless body tightly as she watched from across the cosmos. "Who is that man? Why is he holding me? What is he feeling?" She presses the ferryman to answer her aching questions but he only pushes on.

Daniel releases his beautiful baby sister to the universe, hoping they should meet again, on the ferrymen's dime. As their father continues to wipe the dirty blood off his hands he scrutinizes the son for his poor timing, saying if he had been here sooner maybe he would've struck him instead, paying no mind to his daughters corpse that lay at his feet, stepping over her to turn up the tv he sinks back into the couch and watches the same four characters say the same lines and do the same bits. Friends never sounded so cursed than in that moment, listening to Chandler's laugh while staring into the black gooey eyes that used to belong to Marie, Daniel was no longer Daniel anymore, sure the lights were on, but someone else was home now, a new entity. One of hate, anguish, pain. He stood over his father, grabbing his jugular with the force of a million men, he then bludgeoned his father to death with his own tv remote, making sure the first thing he took from that evil piece of shit was his eyesight, then his ears, his hands and feet were next, beaten beyond repair smashed in by the closet doors that Marie would often find herself in. 

Marie watched from across the cosmos, allowing the ferryman to speed up and bring her to her new home. She smiled gently with relief as she watched the mutilation before her, she was at peace knowing he was hurting too. She thanked the stranger from afar and watches over him everyday, she thanked the ferryman once more before departing from the boat, and she turned to find a stuffed elephant in his hands. "I'm partial to the elephant myself, young Marie."

- kissic