2

Onika T

Onika T. Maraj

I quickly locked my room door. Feeling myself on the verge of a panic attack. My breathing felt faint. Why won't they just listen to me?

My bloody nose and scratches started to sting a bit. I tried my best to calm myself down. I was tired of this.

I told them to get him help but no one ever listens. Hakeem was starting to have random outbursts and sometimes was caught talking to himself.

He started to be aggressive. Punching walls, screaming, and making up scenarios that never happened. On the internet, it said it could be hallucinations.

Me just going with what my parents told me. "It'll pass he's only thirteen." It didn't pass.

It got to the point where me and him got into an argument and he attacked me. Hair pulling, slanging me around, and throwing a bunch of objects.

Screaming telling me that he'll kill me. Threatening my parents saying that he hates me and he'll kill me.

I couldn't take any of this anymore. I was tired of it all. I was stuck on the floor not wanting to get up. All the voices in the house I wanted to tune out.

"Onika open the door please, the cops just want to speak to you." My father said softly. I wasn't in the mood to speak to anybody but I had no choice.

I got up and quickly unlocked the door and sat back down. "It's open"

My room piled in with two cops one male and one female. I watched my father walk away from the door. Not even sparing me a look.

"Hi, Onika we already spoke to your brother and your parents but we also need your side." The female cop said showing me pity as she looked at my face.

At least someone saw me. I just wish my parents did too.

I sighed. "It's not much to say. We argued and he got angry. So he made threats."

The male cop sighed. "We just want to help Onika to make this situation better for you and your family."

"I'm sorry. I..I'm just tired of this." I shut my eyes. Trying to hold back my tears.

"Has he ever been violent like this with others?" She asked me. "He punches walls sometimes. He also speaks to himself and would laugh. Once I asked him what's funny he just told me nothing." 

"When he speaks to himself he always says his name like "nooo Hakeem." And then laugh but most of the time he's whisper talking. He would also randomly have huge fits of rage and start kicking and screaming."

Both officers looked at eachother with concern. "Thank you Onika we'll talk this out with your parents now hunny. Thank you for your cooperation."