one ~ alps

Amandine

May 2003 ~ Institut Villa Billeter

I sit outside, in the garden, on a bench. Roses surround me, filling my body with their sweet scent. The brisk wind flows through my long hair, making me shiver slightly though it's spring. 

The finishing schools runs on an odd schedule. Classes are assigned throughout the day, which leaves me with plenty of time to wander. 

Most of my friends are in the library, or the ballroom, yet I opted to come to this small garden on the side of the school. 

A white archway leads into this wonderland of rose: white, pink, yellow, red. Even just giving them a glance fills me with complete bliss. 

This garden has become my only place of peace these past few months leading up to my 18th birthday. Everywhere else, I am reminded of what must become of me. 

The moment I woke up, the girls' chaperone gave me my annual birthday letter from my mother and my father, once again telling me how thrilled they are I will be returning home. 

On top of their cheery letter, I received three pieces of jewelry from my fiancé—who I am sure didn't even pick them out himself—and a new dress. 

My parents arrive in two days to collect me. I am unsure why I have been sent gifts if they will be packed away in a day's time, but oh well. 

Each hour, each minute, brings me closer and closer to my inevitable fate. I try to tell myself it's not really that bad. I am just being spoiled. 

Many people experience actually hardship. I am complaining about leading a comfortable life? I sound so arrogant, so posh. 

Yet, I can't shake the dark feeling swirling inside of me. I can't imagine a life with him, or at least, I can't imagine a life filled of love with him. 

Perhaps we will find friendship again. I can only hope. 

"Amandine? Oh, Amandine, where might you be?" A sing-song voice calls out from the other side of the garden. 

I let out a small chuckle and stand up. I walk through the walls of roses and see a purple-dressed girl with red hair and a contagious smile. 

"Scarlett," I chuckle as my sister whips around to face me with a grin, "Aren't you supposed to be with the other thirteen-year-old girls?" 

She sighs and dramatically shrugs. "I suppose I should, but you see, it's not a requirement, therefore, I have decided to grace my sister with my presence." 

I raise an eyebrow. "You'll be seeing plenty of me soon enough. Aren't you going to be shipped to Ireland a few days after me?" 

Scarlett grins. "I am. Do you think Emerson will be at the house too? It's been six months since we've seen him." 

"He will, I assume. It's his sister's wedding, after all." 

A year after the wedding announcement was made, my eleven-year-old self was shipped to this finishing school in Bern. Scarlett followed suit the moment she turned ten. 

Emerson remained in Ireland, but he was sent to live in another house with my father to learn the ways of running the O'Ryan Empire. 

Our family only reconnects perhaps once a year, maybe more, or less. Emerson and Scarlett received an impromptu visit six months prior when Scarlett had a surgery. 

Scarlett turns on her heel. "Let's go, sister! Come now!" She begins to walk quickly down the cobbled path leading towards the dormitories. 

"Where are you off to?"