Flight Envy

PROMPT: Write a story under 750 words.

CW(s): Animal cruelty, blood, violent and upsetting imagery. 

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

It's obvious, I think.

Though hidden under a red satin cover, the bell-like shape and the muffled chirping noises that struggle to get out as I set it down on the table, more than gives it away.

I look at Lady Ava. She sits on her chair, all stiff and proper, forced to face me yet looking straight through my body, as if I am not there at all. Right now, I am but a ghost to her, haunting her bedchamber. Unseen.

It's alright. That will change today. I am certain of that.

I smile and hold my breath, heart racing as I pull down on the cover, letting it fall into a bundle on the floor.

My smile blooms into a full grin when Lady Ava immediately shifts her eyes to the golden cage. Her eyelids flutter, as if just now awaking.

The trapped creature chirps, head twitching, unsure of which one of us to keep in its sights. It's remarkably similar to a Robin, if a tad bigger, but the display of flaming red and blinding gold feathers that cover its body screams otherwise.

I am not your common bird, it says. I am special.

Oh, and indeed it must be special, because it has clearly caught the Lady's eye. She has fully turned her head now, lips parted in what must be shock, tempered by a curious glint in her wide brown eyes.

"Isn't it beautiful, Milady?" I ask, hands clasped in front of my mouth to hide the childish grin that has taken hold of my face.

Lady Ava doesn't reply, but she does lean toward the cage to inspect the little bird. When it hops closer and tilts its head at her, there is the smallest of twitches in the corner of her mouth that I refuse to believe isn't the beginning of a smile.

Ah, how my heart soars with accomplishment.

"What is it?" Lady Ava asks, bringing me back down from the clouds.

I smile. "It's a Fire Robin. The natives call it the Firebird. They believe that its feathers have the power to grant any wish."

She tilts her head, tan fingers on the table, inching towards the cage. "I don't understand. Why did you bring it to me? What's it for?"

"Why," I say, hands on my hips, "it's your first-year anniversary gift of course!"

The reaction is immediate.

Lady Ava flinches away from the cage as if burned. But her eyes have gone cold, some of that old, hard frost returning.

I drop my hands and hasten to speak, "Ah, well, you see, Lord William heard that you have a soft spot for birds." I smile, confident that these words will make the Lady's flutter just as it did mine. "So, he sent for the rarest one he could find in the colonies."

"I hate birds."

"I'm... I beg your pardon?"

Lady Ava continues as if I hadn't spoken, cold gaze fixed on the creature. "Been terrified of them ever since I was a child." She pauses, and something makes her lips twitch at the corner once more. "She's the one obsessed with them."

I frown and ask, hesitant, "'She', Milady?"

Lady Ava smiles. Actually smiles. Plump lips arched like a hunter's bow.

"My beloved."

I go silent, all words and breath held tight in my throat.

The Lady looks up at the gated window, eyes glazed, a lost, wistful smile trapped in her mouth as she plays with the wedding ring on her finger. The one Lord William bought her.

"I wish—"

In a split second, the smile dies. But instead of cold ice, it's wild fire which burns in her eyes as she suddenly opens the cage door and grabs the bird.

The thing screeches and twists and flutters, trying to scratch its way out of her grip. Red feathers fly everywhere.

"Milady, don't—!"

There's a snap.

The bird goes still in her hands. Then falls to the floor with a dull thud, stiff as stone.

Lady Ava sits back on the chair, all nice and proper, with bloodied, scratched out hands folded neatly on her lap.

For the very first time, she looks at me, not through me, as she says, "Tell Lord William that I have no use for wishes." She turns to the window. "Not anymore."

I blink, and a cold shiver runs up my spine as I realise that I am the one staring at a ghost.

"... Yes, Milady."