Shauhar|10

Fate works in mysterious ways. It doesn't listen to us to our prayers. A person is born with their fate. That's what Maheer had to convince herself. But how could she explain this to Usama, who laid on the armchair outside in the dark, uncaring of the heat and mosquitos. She looked through the window, and he almost looked dead, his eyes staring into the distance. Her heart ached, was marrying her a punishment for him?

Then she realised how hypocritical she was being, Usama had loved Mahjabeen, just like she had loved Usama. Marrying Murtasim was a punishment for her, so why couldn't it be for Usama.

The light fell on his face, and in the moonlit sky, she saw the stars twinkle, like the tiny tears in his eyes. She removed her ghungat and exited her room. If he wanted sit outside in the heat, then she would accompany him.

Usama couldn't process what had transpired in his life, and who was to blame? Only his bad fate. Countless nights, he had sat under the night sky because of loneliness. At the age of fifteen, he had lost his father, Gul Khan was his guardian, but Usama still felt lonely. There was a void in his heart.

For the first time when he thought he felt a true connection with someone, he lost that person too, to his brother.

"Usama... tum rorahey ho?" He heard a voice and quickly wiped away his eyes, he mustered a smile, "Nahi woh aus hai, garmi haina kaafi isliye shayad".

Maheer smiled sympathetically, sitting beside him. She asked him, "Kya itni na pasand hu mai?" That was her doubt, the thought that was killing her from inside.

"Nahi ... Bas mai udaas hu, "he said, rubbing his eyebrows to get rid of the incoming headache. 

"Meri wajeh se tum dono-", Usama cut her off with a laugh.

"Nahi nahi Maheer, tumhari galti nahi hai. Aisa bolna band karo, please. Maine nhi socha tha ki mai acchanak dulha banunga, I wasn't ready. Isliye yaha baitha tha, "he explained, and Maheer nodded her head sighing.

Usama turned to her, "Tumhara dil nahi tuta? Murtasim bhai se nikkah honey waala tha tumhara", Maheer felt his gaze on her eyes, their eyes made contact. Hazel and dark brown eyes met,  and Maheer couldn't help but speak out her heart.

"Mujhe Murtasim kabhi pasand nhi tha, mujhe toh tum pasand they..."

____

There was a knock on the door, at the main gate, it was early morning half of the family was in mourning or asleep. Neha woke up because of the knocks and went to the gate. There stood Adam with tiffins in his hand.

"Thoda aaram se bhi bell bajasakte ho yaar", She said, yawning, standing at the door. He smiled, "Ek ghante se aaram se hi baja raha hu, koi faida nhi dikha isliye aise bajana padha".

Neha rolled her eyes, "In dibbon m kya hai?" She asked the delicious smell, tempting her. She was hungry.

"Nihaari, Biryani, kofte, aalu ka paratha aur lassi jo aapke liye nahi hai," he said, hiding the box behind him, "Kyun ye sab tum akele khaaogey?"

He shook his head, "Ji nahi ye Mahjabeen aur Murtasim k liye hai."

She glared at him, "Ruko mumani ko call lagakar puchti", he stopped her, "Arrey arrey ek do chamcha tum khaalena".

"Chamcha..."She walked closer and snatched away the box, "Chamcha tum khaana chamche", she closed the door on his face.

"Badtameez ladki!"

The light filtered through the curtains on his face, Murtasim stirred and covered his face with the blanket. He felt a tug on it. In his sleep, he snatched it, but someone snatched it again. Murtasim frowned and tried to tug it when he felt something else around his body. He opened his eyes and saw legs on his waist. Mahjabeen was laying diagnolly on the bed, half of her body hanging off the bed.