Chapter 2: The SandWing Hybrid

I awoke sometime in the middle of the night, tired and unable to fall back asleep, I slowly got off of my sleeping platform and stretched and my wings and claws. I then quickly but quietly made my way down the hallway and outside into the crisp night air.

As I unfurled my wings and took to the sky, my kept flipping back to the question that I had never got an answer to. I wonder why everyone hates me? What's so wrong with being a hybrid? I sadly wondered to myself as I was about to finish my last lap and head inside, but a flash of pale gold scales caught my eye. I flew down and my talons landed into the snow.

"No, no I'm not alright! I was abandoned by my p-parents when I first hatched. I'm a NightWin-SandWing hybrid and my name's Sandstrike, your name?" The SandWing asked. "My name's Nightowl. It's very nice to meet you, Sandstrike." I replied, lowering my head. Uh-oh, I'm in big trouble! I just met him and I'm a love-sick puppy. I mentally screamed as I lowered my head in an attempt to hide my blush.

"Oh, uh, hay, are you alright? Your scales look a bit red, Your a NightWing right? So why are you out here in the IceWing Kingdom?" He asked me with a worried frown forming on his face. I blushed and mumbled a quick but quiet reply, "I'm a NightWing-IceWing hybrid and I live here in the Ice Kingdom," I mumbled, looking down at my talons in an attempt to hide my blush. ""I live in the palace with Queen Snowstorm and my sisters, Snowstorm adopted me when I was only 4-years-old." I continued, blushing for what felt the 20th time as Sandstrike stared at me with his jaw hang open like a fly trap and his eyes as wide as dinner plate.

"Wait, are you being serious right now?!" He asked and I nodded my head in confirmation. "I'm not joking with you, I'm the adopted daughter of the IceWing Queen."

After about what felt like hours of awkward silence, Sandstrike finally seemed to regain the ability to speak. "I can breath fire and I have NightWing powers," Sandstrike said, looking up at me with a bright smile. "Hay, me too! But instead of fire I can breath frost," I looked down, blushing a deeper shade of red I began fidgeting nervously with the sapphire necklace that was hanging around my neck. "Oh! I uh... let's just go back inside," I said and the two of us unfired our wings and took to the sky, flying in the direction of the IceWing palace.

By the time we got there I collapsed onto my bed with a groan. What in the Three Moons is wrong with me? I wondered to myself before finally letting the pull of sleep take me over.