Chapter Two

October 12th, 1934
Ricardo's house

"What do you think about doing a duet with someone?" Paul asked.

I took my cigar out of my mouth and put it on the ashtray before looking at Paul like he lost his mind.

"Are you mad?!" I exclaimed.

"I am not but it is a thought even though it will look good for your career." He said.

I scoffed. "I work alone and don't need a rando singing with me together everywhere at concerts."

"Just think about it." He told me.

I looked at the maid who was pouring tea in Paul's cup and asked her to bring me another set of cigars which she ends up doing.

I walked out to the balcony of my house and looked outside to see kids playing and people having an talk.

"My career is fine and doing well so I don't need to do a fucking duet for this to become more successful!" I yelled.

"I know Ricardo and let's put that idea to the side then we will come back to it later." He said as he joined me to the balcony.

I sighed. "Seeing those kids playing on the sidewalks and their parents watching them just makes me wonder why the hell I am in my thirties not married with kids."

"I am going to be honest with myself because you don't seem the type that wants to be married."

As the maid walked over with the box of cigars, I took two out of the box and handed one to Paul which he gladly accepted.

I nodded and blew a few puffs of the cigar before looking at Paul.

"There is a chance I could change my mind but never in my life I have ever fallen in love with someone." I said.

"Really there are some fine ladies out here in California and in this world as well but you are telling me you never fell in love?"

I laughs. "Some of the women in this world doesn't interest me at all but there are some that could even though I would never fall in love with them."

**********

"Sir, Ben has arrived. Shall I let him in?" inquired the butler, rousing me from my slumber.

I groaned and stretched my arms before looking at my butler. " Yes, let him in and also just call me Ricardo okay."

Kenny nodded in agreement and exited my bedroom. I followed him as we both made our way downstairs.

"Benjamin how are you doing?" I asked.

"I am doing great like always Ricardo. " Ben said as he walked inside the house.

"Good to know so how is the wife?"

"She is doing fine same for the baby as well."

"Congrats on the newborn." 

Ben smiled. " Thanks so anyway how would you like to go to Kansas with me next month?"

"What is even in Kansas anyway?" I asked as I took a sip of the coffee that Kenny, my butler handed me.

"Beats me but I was thinking we just take a trip there to relax since you are stressed." He stated.

I rolled my eyes at him. "I am not stressed Ben."

"You don't know that since you are sometimes emotionless, but yes you are stressed Ricardo."

I rolled my eyes at Ben again. "I will think about it."