Chapter Three

October 15th, 1934

Ivory View Resort

The band was playing and as I held the mic to sing, I let my voice do its thing.

"Like the beat beat beat of the tom-toms

When the jungle shadows fall
Like the tick tick tock of the stately clock
As it stands against the wall
Like the drip drip drip of the raindrops
When the summer shower is through
So a voice within me keeps repeating you, you, you

Night and day, you are the one
Only you beneath the moon or under the sun
Whether near to me, or far
It's no matter darling where you are
I think of you
Night and day, day and night why is it so
That this longing for you follows wherever I go
In the roaring traffic's boom
In the silence of my lonely room
I think of you

Night and day, day and night
Under the hide of me
There's an oh such a hungry yearning burning inside of me
And this torment won't be through
Until you let me spend my life making love to you
Night and day, day and night."

I told the band to continue playing while I leave the stage for a few minutes.

"Ricardo, that song was beautiful to my taste and thank you for performing here." Ivory said as her and her husband walked towards me.

"You are welcome and happy birthday." I said.

"Thank you and this is my husband, George." She states.

"Nice to meet you."  I spoke.

George didn't say anything but nodded and it was very awkward because of the scowl on his face that he was giving me.

"Ricardo would you mind dancing with me?" Ivory asked me. 

"What about George?" I asked.

George was now talking to some people in the party but still had his eyes on his wife.

Ivory scoffed with a laugh. "Oh, please George would never want to dance with me and he wouldn't mind at all."

She took my hand, and we began to dance.

"You know Paul was right about you." She spoke.

"What did Steele say about me? I questioned.

"He mentioned that you are a very talented and sophisticated person, which I can attest to, but Paul never mentioned how handsome you are."

I chuckled. "Ivory, aren't you married?"

"A little compliment to another person is not going to kill anyone but how in the world are you still single!"

"There isn't a single woman in this world that captures my interest, ma'am."

"Nonsense there have to be one."

"If there was one then I would be happily married by now."

******************

Brighten's POV

Clark County, Kansas

"Brighten there you are, I need to talk to you."  Walter, my friend said as he got off his horse.

"What is it?" I asked

"I have another horse that I don't want to sell to those rich snobs up in Leawoods so would you like to have Betty?" He states.

"I would love to but about your farm don't you need the money?"

"Yes, I do badly if I want to save my farm and the house but I don't trust them rich people."

Walter harbored a deep-seated animosity towards the affluent, a sentiment I understand given their often self-centered nature. However, his disdain seemed to carry a more personal undertone, likely rooted in a negative encounter involving himself and the residents of Leawoods in the past.

"But anyway, Dixie what have you been doing?" Walter wondered as he looked to see a notebook on my lap and probably wondering what I am writing in it.

"Oh you don't want to know, it is just foolish anyway." I spoke.

"Mmh let me guess, you want to leave Kansas because out of there is something better for you?"

"Yes Walter and you know my dream is become a singer."

He scoffed. "Please you may have a voice of a angel but the only thing you are going to be here in this world is a housewife."

"Why can't you just believe in me?"

"I can but you know how it is for women."

Sadly, I know and it is the truth.