𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 1

"AHHH" My laughter echoed around the empty field as my brother tickled me. My sister sat of in the distance making daisy chains. 'Stop stop stop' I screamed.

"Ok ok" my brother responded laughing. I hit him playfully. He pretended to look offended. Sarah made her way over to us as she held at least 20 daises in her hand. She sat down next to me and continued to make daisy chains. She strung one over Luke's head and then one over mine. I giggled. It took my mind of reaping day. My name was in their 8 times. While Sarah's and Luke's name were in there at least 15 times. Plus, there was countless other kids in the District. The odd were in my favour. I sat up and yawned my eyelids heavy and Luke picked me up and carried me home. Our house wasn't what'd you call small. It was one of the biggest in the District. But alas our parents couldn't have cared less about their children. Which then forces us to apply for Tesserae. I overheard my parents yelling. They had a fight with one of the peacekeepers. Thankfully the peacekeepers didn't shoot my parents. But I'm almost certain one of us will pay. Chosen for the inevitable games. District 10 didn't have the best reputation in the games. Though somehow someone won last year. Andrew Parker. He was 14 but I'm pretty sure he had his birthday in the arena. So, he won when he was 15 but started when he was 14. My birthday is exactly a month before the reaping day. June 4th. It was a Saturday this year and me and my siblings celebrated. It was a small birthday but somehow Sarah got me a cake! It was delicious one of the best things I'd ever ate. We'd reached home now. Luke gently opened the door walked in. Our parents were somewhere probably partying in the Capitol like they always did. They couldn't be killed. They were one of the capitols biggest supporters. They always sent money to the capitol as well wine. Which was honestly a delicacy as the wine was one of a kind. A new type of wine my father invented when he younger. He made it and it was a huge hit in the Capitol so as reward they had tons of money and were off partying every other weekend. Leaving me and my siblings alone. Luke slipped me some crackers and I ate them quickly once I ate them, I fell asleep.

Reaping day arrived way too quickly. I woke up in a daze to commotion in the kitchen. Luke was making breakfast while Sarah was washing dishes. I immediately got up to help. I walked over and set the table "are mum and dad home?" I asked. Trying to be hopeful. But from the looks on their faces they were in fact not home. I sighed and continued to set the table. Whether or not my parents were home I always set the table for them too. Adding plates to the ends of the table where on the rare occasion they were home. Luke put the food on the table, and we all ate. Reaping was in a few hours, and I started to get nervous. "What happens if I'm reaped?" I asked. Sarah came over and hugged me "That'll never happen you know." It didn't work. I was still shaking and nervous. I walked into my room staring at the outfit Sarah laid out. It was a blue dress with a white bow with black spots on it around the waist. As well as cowboy boots. Not the best-looking outfit but respectable. Sarah wore a similar outfit. She put my hair in a half up half down and I tried to replicate it and failed so she decided to leave it down. Luke, Sarah and I walked out. I was clutching my siblings' hands nervously. We slowly made it to the desk where they had to take some of my blood. I yelped as a shock went through my body. I know I'll never get used to the feeling. Then I was whisked away to my age group. I stood nervously shaking. I hoped I wasn't picked. Tiffany Chandler. She was the district 10 escort. Then in her chirpy voice showed us the clip of the rebellion and the dark days. I zoned out of that until she said, "Ladies first."

My hands were properly shaking now. Then she called out the name I never wanted to hear come out of her mouth.

"Sophia Robinson."