Apology accepted - part 4

"Geralt," said that stern voice, when the white-haired witcher got up from his place at the table. He stopped, waiting for his old master to talk.

"I am going to take a walk before sleeping, will you go with me?" Vesemir asked, uncharacteristic apprehension in his voice. So Geralt agreed, surprised, because Vesemir never was much for talking like this.

They walked through the keep all the way outside, where only the last bits of snow were left as spring was coming closer. They walked in silence, only stars above their heads, all the way to the bench under the old oak, where the old wolf sat down and patted the place next to him. When they both sat shoulder to shoulder, he spoke.

"I am sorry, wolf," he used the nickname he didn't use ever since Jaskier came up until this very moment.

"What for?" asked Geralt, slightly uncomfortable with the idea of Vesemir apologizing.

"I haven't been just in this thing. I know I didn't treat you right ever since Jaskier came. I have struggled with even looking at you, knowing I failed you this much. Knowing you rejected your happiness. I thought that maybe if I did something differently, when I raised you, it wouldn't have come to this," the old wolf said and his shoulders hunched down, all the years of his life suddenly becoming much more visible.

"That..." Geralt gulped. "That is not right. I... you did your best. You..." he shifted on the bench. Of course there were things he thought could have been different. But... didn't all children think that?

"I cannot imagine how it would have felt in your place. I certainly think not a single one of us, well, maybe except Eskel, would have done a better job. I would have been terrible if I was in your place.

And... even back then, when others were still here, had it not been for you in the midst of most of other trainers, I don't even think I would have been coming back here every winter," he shook his head.

"We didn't grow up perfect, but you were always here. Silent, but here for us," he shrugged his shoulders.

"I am glad I at least managed that," the old wolf chuckled and Geralt felt a smile creep onto his own lips. Then the old wolf turned towards Geralt and spread his arms.

"Hug? A certain someone told me they are great for healing hearts," the old wolf said, a twinkle in his eyes, and Geralt felt a wave of affection as he accepted the embrace, wrapping his own hands around Vesemir. His eyes felt wet again, but he didn't care.

"I'm still sorry," Vesemir whispered, when they stood up again to return inside.

"Apology accepted," Geralt said, small smile tugging at his lips. After all, he was not alone and he was willing to change. They all made mistakes, but they also had strong hearts and enough time to heal them. There was still hope.