Chapter 8: Protest on the Dismissal

It was the morning after breakfast. Unlike usual, breakfast time was a bit lonely with only Charlotte and Victoria. Their parents had breakfast in the bedroom because the Baron was still recuperating.

Charlotte went back to her study room. She sat there and started reading documents. It had almost been a month since she did her father's work. Not that she had any complaints because she didn't have much work after the hotel's closing. Mostly Charlotte only did the paperwork, and the on-site work was supervised by Mr. John.

Last week had been unbelievable for her. Her meeting with Prince Logan felt like it came out right from a magical dream. She didn't expect everything to go way too well for her. Her only goal was to arrange another meeting. She never expected Logan to invite her to the royal garden.

Unfortunately, an oral promise, even from a royal family, didn't hold much power. It did elevate Charlotte's confidence. Nonetheless, without the formal invitation, she would never pass the palace gate. If lucky, the royal knight would send her home; if not, she might get caught and questioned. That was the case unless the prince fetched her himself. Never mind, she didn't ask for that much of course.

While reading the documents, Charlotte stumbled upon the reports of complaints against the workers mass dismissals. She sighed while staring at those sheets of paper. Her heart felt wrenched. She didn't want to fire them nor closing most of the Riverion's family business. However, the depressing economy compelled them to do that.

Emma was taking the plate of cookies Charlotte had finished. She was going to ask whether her mistress would like another cup of water. Then, Charlotte stood up, and Emma postponed her question.

Charlotte knocked on the door and entered after a voice from inside approved it.

"Good day, Father," Charlotte smiled, put the documents on the table, and hugged her father.

"How do you feel today, Father?" Charlotte asked.

"I felt better. In fact, I just had a wonderful walk with your mother. And now, she insisted on brewing some tea for me. You know, I don't really enjoy tea."

Charlotte laughed at his father joke. Since when Baron Riverion didn't like to drink tea? He was just picky with his tea. Charlotte worries lessen seeing her father had regained most of his health to be able to joke around.

True to his words, Baron Riverion did have a good complexion. He might have lost lots of blood but had a strong-willed to live that his body recovered incredibly fast. Although he felt fine, Baroness Riverion forbad him to work before he completely recovered.

"Would it be fine if I bothered you with this?" Charlotte took the documents she brought and waved them in the air.

Baron Riverion playing with his chin while pretending to think hard. It made Charlotte shake her head, but also laugh.

"As long as your mother didn't find out."

"My mouth is sealed very tightly."

Baron Riverion scanned the documents Charlotte brought. It was the reports about the workers protesting their injustice dismissal. Like father like daughter, Baron Riverion's face turned dark the moment he read the reports.

"I was thinking about giving them compensation for all the trouble we give them. It might be hard on us, but I think it would be possible," Charlotte opened her mouth after seeing her father had finished reading the documents.

"Hard on us?"

"Yes," Charlotte nodded, and continued, "we might have to live less lavishly, and used some of the family's saving."

Actually, the Riverion family never live too lavishly. As a low-ranking noble and a rising new money, the Riverion had never made it their objective to show off. They used enough money not to embarrass themselves in social activities and sometimes for pleasure, but that was it. His father always taught the family to save money or if possible, invest in it.

Baron Riverion touched his daughter's shoulder. He patted it and showed a curl on his lips.

"I wholeheartedly agree with you. We should give them compensation in addition to their salary. If we could afford it, maybe about seven months more salary, instead of three, for them to live and search for another job," Baron Riverion said.

"Then I will do exactly just that," Charlotte answered.

"Please take care of this. I believe in you, my daughter," Baron Riverion gave another smile. It was a warm and fatherly smile. Like a father that was very proud of his daughter.

The father-daughter talked was interrupted by Baroness Riverion entrance. She frowned upon laying her eyes on some documents. She hurriedly put the tray of tea on the table and urged her husband to rest.

"I remembered the doctor ordered you to rest, and I say no work for one whole month," Baroness Riverion scolded her husband.

"Charlotte! Is the work too hard that you must bother a recuperating patient?" now, it was Charlotte time to be reprimanded.

"Of course not, Mother. I just asked my father for some opinion," Charlotte smiled. It had been a while since she was scolded like a little girl. Weirdly enough, she hated those scolds when she was younger, but missed it as she got older.

"If you need someone to discuss, please come to me and not your father. He needs another week to rest!" Baroness Riverion said while giving both her husband and daughter a cup of tea.

"Yes, Mother."

Charlotte answered nonchalantly. She didn't wish to trouble her mother with business when the hostess already busy maintaining the mansion.

Baroness Riverion along with Charlotte left the head of Riverion family to rest. The Baroness suggested they take a walk since the weather was very nice. Charlotte agreed because there was no more urgent business she needed to handle today.

Victoria, who had just finished playing piano, decided to join her mother and sister walking in the garden. Victoria was running around, while the others were walking behind.

"Victoria, don't run around like that, or you will fall," said the Baroness for the fourth time.

"Just leave her be, Mother. I mean, this is a good weather to run, right?" Charlotte defended her sister.

Baroness Riverion stared at Charlotte for a while, before agreeing to her suggestion, "Alright. I suppose there's nothing bad with running."

The wind that hit her cheek felt very nice. Charlotte enjoyed the view in front of her. She didn't think there was any need to discuss business, but her mother thought differently.

"How was work?"

Charlotte immediately turned her head toward her mother. Her mouth was open, but she didn't say anything.

"Charlotte?"

"I wish I could say it was fine, Mother," Charlotte showed a forced smile. Charlotte continued, "Closing some business did help us to maintain the trading business, but the workers complained a lot."

"Compensation?"

"Yes, I am going to work on that."

"Good work, my daughter. Thank you for your hard work."

Baroness Riverion held and caressed her first daughter's hand. She understood how much Charlotte had worked even before her coming-in-age ceremony. She also knew that Charlotte had worked even harder when the Baron hurt his head.