Chapter 12: The Royal Library

"What did you say?" Margaret couldn't believe what she heard from her best friend.

"I reckoned you heard me alright. But, since I was in a pleasant mood, I will repeat it," Charlotte said, "I'm going to meet Prince Logan in the afternoon."

"He invited you the Royal Library after the East Garden?" Margaret eyes enlarged.

"Yes, I supposed that's what happened."

Margaret put the book she had been reading on the table. She couldn't venture the idea that Charlotte had actually managed to charm Logan. Her best friend might be beautiful and smart, but that doesn't mean a prince would fall in love with Charlotte out of the blue after one meeting. On top of that, Prince Damian abruptly manifested an interest in her. Could the crazy plan actually work?

"Truthfully, my feeling told me that he's hiding something," Charlotte burst out Margaret's thought bubble.

"Who are you talking about?"

"Prince Logan, of course," Charlotte a little mad at Margaret lack of attention.

"What about Prince Damian sudden interest?"

"Knowing his personality, I'm sure you understand the reason he showed up in the garden."

"Then, the plan was running along better than anticipated."

"That's right," Charlotte smiled smugly.

Prince Logan and Damian bad relationship were well known throughout the high society. The two of them were never seen conversating to each other in public. They only ever exchanged crude greetings, boorish remarks, or scurrilous sarcasms.

One thing to be concluded from their conversation would be that both of them hate losing. The ongoing discussion about the crown succession—because the king's health was deteriorating—escalated their competitive behavior. Henceforward, Charlotte and Margaret presumed winning one's favor would fuel the other's curiosity.

"Charlotte, please, please do be careful," Margaret gave her partings words before Charlotte headed to the Royal Palace.

Charlotte nodded and smiled before closing the door. She walked out of the manor to the carriage that had been waiting for her. Part one of her plan—getting an interest of the princes—had been finished. Part two was to get close enough to them to be able to manipulate their important decisions.

"Where are you going now?" Wilson asked as he offered his hand to help his mistress going up.

"The Royal Palace."

"What?" Wilson held Charlotte hand asking an explanation.

"What?" Charlotte protested.

"Why are you going to the Palace?"

"I'm meeting with Prince Logan," Charlotte said casually while retracting the hand Wilson held.

"I hope you're not thinking of making any trouble," Wilson face was full of worry. His eyebrow was furrowed deeply, and his eyes were shaking.

"Trouble is my forte, right?" Charlotte smiled, and the carriage door was closed.

"Please, don't," Wilson whispered.

Unlike the last time, Charlotte didn't wait long on her second visit. It was within her expectation. She knew on her last visit Logan was testing her relationship with Princess Eleanor. This time, he didn't seem to have any need for another test.

Soon after she sat down, Sir Timothy opened the door for Logan. After exchanging a quick pleasantry, Logan quickly escorted her to the Royal Library. It was the biggest library in Gallene. The two-floor library had a high ceiling that was painted beautifully. The books collections were arranged systematically according to the theme. There were sturdy wooden tables and chairs lined up in the middle.