She

December 24, 1938

"Kaiji, hurry up! The guests are already here!" My mom shouted while managing what's going on in our kitchen.

"Mom, I'm done cleaning! I'm going now! Bye, mom! Bye, granny!" I shouted and grabbed my coat as I ran out of our house, heading to our favorite place in the woods. It was the night before Christmas and I was excited to tell Rainer something.

"Don't be home too late, Kaiji! Be safe out there, 'kay?!" My mom shouted too late, I wasn't able to respond since I had already entered the woods.

I noticed a light in our treehouse, that's why I climbed up fast, excited to see him. "Raine-"

I stopped.

"Oh, Kaiji! I'm so glad you're here! Good thing your mom let you!" He said, laughing.

I didn't pay any attention to him, my gaze was stuck on an unfamiliar figure. "This is?"

"Oh! Abby, this is Kaiji, my best friend. Kaiji, this is Abby," He smiled proudly, "my girlfriend."

"Nice meeting you, Kaiji." The girl spoke.

My heart skipped a beat.

"You're…girlfriend??" I stared at him, completely puzzled.

"Yeah, dude! Aren't you happy for me?" He said, his tone filled with excitement. "Oh, and I hope you won't be uncomfortable with Abby from now on, since this place is now under the three of us."

"What? Rainer?" I thought this place is only for the two of us?

Of course, I didn't have the gut to tell him that. It's Rainer talking, I don't have a say.

He chuckled while his hand was on the girl's waist, "Don't worry! You'll find your girl one day, trust me." He smiled. The smile that caused a great pain in my chest.

I chuckled dryly, "Yeah…" I just thought it was you…