Prologue

June 2022

Simon

Simon was staring out the floor to ceiling windows of his office. He wasn't looking at anything in particular. The view didn't change much even 7 floors up. The grey London haze, a few cars, maybe a fat squirrel or two his assistant feeds on her lunch breaks. In fact, the man in his office boring holes into his back was the only thing out of the ordinary. Usually Simon wouldn't be so rude during a business meeting, however this was different. He wanted to make him sweat a little.

The man cleared his throat with obvious nerves.

"Odd to tell me not to bring anyone with me and then ignore me for 15 minutes" the man spat with irritation. "Am I wasting my time?"

Got 'em

"Steady on, lad. You're lucky I take calls from any of you ingrates''. Simon said coolly, turning to the man and sitting at his desk.

His desk was commissioned to his exact specifications. A matte slate color with glossy red accents and a small unnoticeable platform under his chair, so no matter who was sitting in the red leather chairs in front of him- he was always looking down at them.

The man scoffed and sat back in his chair. Trying to act tough, but the subtle shake of his fingers pleased Simon greatly.

"Do you want to do this or not?" The man said quieter.His hands moved together as he began fidgeting with a familiar ring on his middle finger. He took a deep breath and looked up at Simon. "I know...I know this is complicated. Liam's interview and L-... the other two told some media outlets they're working on new music but...I just need this" His eyes looked down at the desk.

"Have you talked to any of them about this?" Simon asked with genuine curiosity. This was better than a reality TV show. Simon lived for this shit. The man shook his head quickly.

"No, no they'd never agree to it. Liam maybe" he muttered "doubt they even remember signing that contract, doubt they would take my calls" he said only above a whisper.

A slow grin crept on Simon's face.

"Well, at least they signed it" Simon leaned back in his chair and propped his leather heeled boots onto his desk. "Some Pop-star refused and ruined the whole plan" he said venomously sweet.

"I...i'll sign it. One more album, one more tour. That's it" The man said with a little more confidence in his voice.

"You know Zayn signed it too" Simon said with absolute sociopathic glee all over his face. The man met his eyes at that.

"You can't be serious that you'd make him come back" the man spat once again. "You're such an arsehole"

Simon laughed lightly at the insult.

"And you're ripping two of 'em from finishing their albums, sounds like I'm in common company."

The man tried to hold back a shudder but Simon didn't miss it.

"You need to be aware of the consequences of your decisions since none of you idiots did that in 2015" Simon cooed with the gentleness of a starving hyena. "And my contracts are iron clad. They won't be able to so much as think about their current label too long without our lawyers showing up on their door with a cease and desist".

The man looked up again at Simon and something unrecognisable moved across his face.

"I just...I need this Simon...can...can we please just get into the legalities here and do what we need to do to take the next steps?"