Part 12: Scarecrow

Sam was laying on one of the two beds in the motel room. Dean was sound asleep in the other and y/n was in another room so she can have some privacy. He couldn't really sleep as he was thinking about what the job they just did. The things they saw and learned. The possibility that spirits will help them instead of just trying to hurt/kill them. But the therapy session he had with James Ellicott was also bothering him.

His train of thought was cut off by the sound of a ringing. Sam takes the call and it turns out to be John. He assures Sam they're okay but that they have to trust him though he can't reveal where he is. John reveals he's after the thing that killed their mom, a demon. He tells them to stop looking for him and write down a list of names, warning it's not safe. Sam wants answers but John tells him it isn't safe and he needs to take down the names since he's ordering him. Dean takes the phone and writes the names.

Dean tells Sam to go get you as he gets their stuff ready to leave. Sam scoffs but gets out of bed. He goes to y/n's door and explains to her the situation. She was confused since this was so sudden but Sam said that they were leaving so she needed to get packed. She shrugged as she did as he told her to do.

Sam was driving as Dean was in the passenger seat looking at a map and y/n was in the back.

"Alright so the names Dad gave us--They're all couples," Sam said.

"Three different couples all went missing," Dean informed.

"And they're all from different states and cities," y/n asked.

"That's right. Washington, New York, Colorado," Dean said. "Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination. None of them were ever heard from again."

"Well, it's a big country, Dean. They could have disappeared anywhere," Sam pointed out.

"Yeah, they could have, but each one's route took them through the same part of Indiana...Always on the second week of April, one year after another after another," Dean said.

"This is the second week of April," Sam said.

"Yep," Dean said.

"So Dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes," Sam asked.

"Yahtzee," Dean said. "Can you imagine putting together a pattern like this? The different obits Dad had to go through--The man's a master."

Sam scoffs as he pulls the car over. Y/n could tell by his expression something was about to happen while Dean was confused by Sam's actions.

"What are you doing," Dean asked as Sam turned the car off.

"We're not going to Indiana," Sam stated.

"We're not," y/n asked, confused.

"No, we're going to California," Sam stated. "Dad called from a payphone--Sacramento area code."

"Sam," Dean said.

"Dean, if this demon killed Mom and Jess and Dad's closing in, we got to be there," Sam stated. "We've got to help."

"Dad doesn't want our help," Dean said

"Well I don't care," Sam said, getting annoyed.

"He's given us an order," Dean said, also getting annoyed.

"I don't care," Sam repeated. "We don't always have to do what he says."

"Sam, Dad is asking us to work jobs, to save lives. It's important," Dean said.

"All right, I understand. Believe me, I understand," Sam said. "But I'm talking one week here, man, to get answers. To get revenge."

"All right, look, I know how you feel," Dean said, trying to keep his cool.