𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔬(𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 26)

psa: in this version, Amarantha is male and called Amaros. He isn't romantically interested in Tamlin, but he wants him to join his side and fight for him.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     The next day, Lucien joined us for lunch--which was breakfast for all of us. Ever since I'd complained about the unnecessary size of the table, we'd taken to dining at a much-reduced version.

     Lucien kept rubbing at his temples as he ate, unusually silent, and I hid my smile as I asked him, "And where were you last night?"

     Lucien's metal eye narrowed on me. "I'll have you know that while you two were dancing with the spirits, I was stuck on border patrol." Tamlin gave a pointed cough, and Lucien added, "With some company." He gave me a sly grin. "Rumor has it you two didn't come back until after dawn."

      I glanced at Tamlin, biting my lip. I'd practically floated into my bedroom that morning. But Tamlin's gaze now roved my face as if searching for any tinge of regret, of fear. Ridiculous.

"You bit my neck on Fire Night," I said under my breath. "If I can face you after that, a few kisses are nothing."

      He braced his forearms on the table as he leaned closer to me. "Nothing?" His eyes flicked to my lips. Lucien shifted in his seat, muttering to the Cauldron to spare him, but I ignored him.

"Nothing," I repeated a bit distantly, watching Tamlin's mouth move, so keenly aware of every movement he made, resenting the table between us. I could almost feel the warmth of his breath.

"Are you sure?" he murmured, intent and hungry enough that I was glad I was sitting.

     He could have had me right there, on top of that table. I wanted his broad hands running over my bare skin, wanted his teeth scraping against my neck, wanted his mouth all over me.

"I'm trying to eat," Lucien said, and I blinked, the air whooshing out of me. "But now that I have your attention, Tamlin," he snapped, though the High Lord was looking at me again--devouring me with his eyes. I could hardly sit still, could hardly stand the clothes scratching my too-hot skin. With some effort, Tamlin glanced back at his emissary.

     Lucien shifted in his seat. "Not to be the bearer of truly bad tidings, but my contact at the Winter Court managed to get a letter to me."

     Lucien took a steadying breath, and I wondered--wondered if being emissary also meant being spymaster. And wondered why he was bothering to say this in my presence at all. The smile instantly faded from Tamlin's face.

"The blight," Lucien said tightly, softly. "It took out two dozen of their younglings. Two dozen, all gone." He swallowed. "It just burned through their magic, then broke apart their minds. No one in the Winter Court could do anything--no one could stop it once it turned its attention toward them. Their grief is  unfathomable. My contact says other courts are being hit hard--though the Night Court, of course, manages to remain unscathed. But the blight seems to be sending its wickedness this way--farther south with every attack."

      All the warmth, all the sparkling joy, drained from me like blood down a drain. "The blight can  can truly kill people?" I managed to say.

      Younglings. It had killed children, like some storm of darkness and death. And if offspring were as rare as Alis had claimed, the loss of so many would be more devastating than I could imagine.

      Tamlin's eyes were shadowed, and he slowly shook his head--as if trying to clear the grief and shock of those deaths from him.

"The blight is capable of hurting us in ways you--"